Chapter 8: A whole new light

WARNING: Dark Themes.

Chapter 8: A whole new light

Your P.O.V

"And so today, we shall say goodbye to these brave men who died in a tragic event that happened for the past few days.." The priest's words went from on ear to another. It was a rainy day and three days after the occurrence in the hospital.

"Families, Friends, fellow brothers and sisters, please remember them and may they live forever in our hearts."

Everyone was stuck by melancholy. Some would sniffle and shed a tear or two, but others would sob uncontrollably.

I stare at the coffins before me, then at the families of the dead ones. There must have been a dozen or more.. I see their loved ones comfort each other. I even saw a lone old lady, sobbing by herself. It broke my heart.. I made my way towards the woman and lightly tapped on her shoulder. The old lady looked at me with red, puffy eyes and smiled sadly. "I thought of the day when he finally quits the service. But not in this way.." She said.

"I'm really sorry.. He- They were brave and strong, ma'am. " I look down with guilt because I may had done something to prevent those deaths, and sadness that I did not find a way. Then regret that I even let BEN come with me to the hospital..

"You must be the girl who he tried saved. Don't feel bad, this is the fate of people who risk their lives.. It was bound to happen eventually..." She assured, looking back at one of the picture frames that sat above a coffins. The picture portrayed an old man with grey hair and chocolate brown eyes. This must be her husband..

'This is the fate of the people who risk their lives'...

My eyes wandered to one other, particular person in the crowd. James. He looked at me with a face a guilt and I flash a short, sympathetic smile at him. Making a mental note to talk to him after this funeral was over.

"As we set them free, may they and us find peace and resolution. If not today, then another day."

The priest finished talking and they slowly lowered down the coffins to the ground. The families conditions worsened as more sobs joined. The old woman buried her face in her handkerchief. Not really knowing what to do, I hugged her. To which she smiled gratefully to.

I look around to find James, But he suddenly disappeared.

~Timeskip~

After the incident, the hospital prepared to fix up the damage. It was on the news for the past, few days and was reported as a terrorist attack. About 16 people was caught in the bombing. Some slightly or majorly injured, some turned up dead. And 4 casualties caused by the 'terrorist' himself with the weapon identified as a surgical bone saw that was stolen from the hospital itself.

BEN's identity was sort of compromised. It was all over the media and internet..

I checked it myself. However, BEN might have somewhat prevented and altered the truth. For most of the pictures were blurred, some were clear as day.In his pictures, he was caked in blood, his eyes were empty sockets, his ears were pointed, and he didn't really look like himself at all. And that may have saved him.

I don't know how he pulled that off. I don't want to lie. That was a bit impressive.

But, James saw him with his own two eyes. And so did the surviving policemen who tried to rescue us that day. But, they were reportedly found missing as well.