e i g h t e e n

{ Farkle }

Why?

That's a question I'm asking. Why would someone plan to murder Riley? If Riley knew there was someone after her why wouldn't she tell us? Why did everything have to change? Riley the sun, my sun, was murdered, and it was intentional.

"Farkle, are you okay?"

I looked at the doorway to see Maya. I always loved Maya, as a friend. She was the night, mysterious and dark. I always thought she was like a sister to me.

"No, I'm not okay. I'm not okay that someone was out there to get Riley. The girl I loved. Why would someone so cruel do this?"

Maya shifted uncomfortably, she was probably thinking the same thing as me.

"I don't know Farkle, but what I do know is that we have to hope. That's something Riley has taught all of us. To believe in something, hope is not for suckers."

There was hope in Maya's eyes, and I knew she was right. I nodded my head, walking out of the room.

"At least now we know someone was out to get Riley."

Lucas immediately stood up, he knew how much I loved Riley.

"Hey buddy, how are you holding up?"

"I'm doing fine, I just want to get this investigation started."

Through the corner of my eyes I could see Maya nodding at Lucas, telling him I was okay. I once thought that whenever I wasn't there for my friends I wasn't apart of the story, well now, I know that I do play an important part. I wouldn't say evil mastermind, I would say the loyal genius.

Yeah, that's my part.

***

{ Maya }

"Lucas I'm fine, I can walk home by myself, it's only 6:00."

Farkle decided we should go back on our investigation at school, in free period. But, Huckleberry over here decided that he was going to give me a ride since he was too afraid of me walking home alone. He was still Ranger Rick.

"I know it's 6:00, but you don't know if someone comes to you and says Netflix and Chill when in reality he's trying to have sex with you. And then I'm gonna come in and save you because I would be following you since I'm too worried, then we would go back to my house to cuddle."

"You thought of all that in one second."

"No, it was actually five minutes."

I laughed at Lucas's dorkiness, he then gave me a small smile. I don't know why, but he always smiles when I laugh. I don't know if he thinks my laugh is funny or he just likes to smile a lot.

"Don't worry Lucas, if it makes you feel any better, I have pepper spray and my phone, and it's in the deep pocket of my purse."

"Okay."

I smiled and kissed his cheek, making sure to wave as I walked away. I sighed, the place where I lived was a bad place. There was garbage everywhere, cigarettes, it was horrible. But, my mom had been saving enough money to move out of this dump. As I was walking I swear I heard footsteps, I got out the pepper spray turning around.

Huh, there was no one there. I ran back to my apartment, locking all the doors and windows. My mom wouldn't be home until 8:00. I collapsed on my bed, this is the life. A very drama filled and adventure life. My phone beeped so I went to go get it. I opened up the text message, knowing it would be Lucas.

unknown: i spy with my little eye, a broken blonde, getting herself in quite a pickle. lock your doors and your windows, because your little safe life, isn't so safe anymore. good luck.