Rain II - Bedlam

Contains some swearing and suggestive material. 

Kirstie was content. 

She was happy. 

She was just dandy. 

She was fine. 

She had a wonderfully single life, a puppy, a loving family, and a series of tightly-knit friendships. 

Which was why it made absolutely no sense why she was in a bad mood.

The day had started off fine, she reflected, lying in bed with Olaf sprawled across her torso.  

In fact, Mitch's cake balls had brightened her morning tenfold, and the recording sessions went unexpectedly well.  Kirstie felt great. 

At lunch, the quintet hat sat in a circle and rearranged a popular song in one session. They had it down pat, and they'd decided to post the live cover the following week. Kirstie was ecstatic. 

They had the evening to themselves (huzza!), and Avi had brought a lovely lady, giggly and red-headed and smart, along with him. 

And suddenly, Kirstie was irritable. The rest of the day leading up to their plans for dinner (that she wormed out of), she had snapped and hissed and basically been the snarkiest possible for her usually endearing persona.  

She hadn't the slightest clue what might have triggered her sudden...sudden wrath. 

Well, that wasn't exactly true. 

She knew exactly what had caused her mean streak to pulse unsteadily.

Or who. 

Avi Kaplan really was a piece of work. 

Kirstie wished she meant that sarcastically, but honestly, all she could think about was how perfectly sculpted his face was, and how heartwarming his kindness was, and just how perfect his existence in general seemed. 

And that made her mad. She grit her teeth in frustration as Olaf scampered away to the couch.

God, she was pathetic. Her palms fisted handfuls of hair, and she let herself cry a little. He was out in the real world, enjoying life and chatting up every pretty girl in sight, completely over them, and here she was. Alone. Angry. In love. 

Her hand flopped beside her, tapping against her phone, and she picked it up. Scrolling through Twitter, she found herself being swallowed into a never-ending spiral of ire and confusion and sadness as she went through tweets on her feed. 

Going out with friends. Best dinner ever! 

A picture accompanied it, with Avi, red-headed Tania, Scott, and Kevin. They were all smiling at the camera with their arms around each other. 

She clenched her left fist. 

Tania and I literally had the most insightful conversation today.

Her body was wracking with sobs now. 

(271 tweets later):

Wow. I just had a revelation of sorts. Love you TaniaIsCake! 

She screamed. 

Burying her face in her pillow, she cried. And cried. She cried till there weren't any tears left to shed. 

As hours passed she felt Olaf snuggle against her comfortingly, and gave him a watery chuckle as she lay there, spent.  

A storm was brewing outside.