Chapter 20

Dear Journal,

8/4/1968

I slept over Ponyboy's last night. It started off as a normal day, but in the middle of the night, I felt myself being shaken awake.

"Psst..." I heard. "Psssssstttttt."

"Ponyboy?" I asked. "What?"

"Shhhhh," he uttered. "You wanna go somewhere with me?"

"What?" I asked. "What time is it?!"

"I don't know!" he whispered. "2 maybe?" He widened his eyes. "Please?"

"Where?" I asked. He sighed.

"It doesn't matter."

"Yes it does."

"Fine," he whispered. "Star-gazing." I laughed.

"Why?"

"Because I haven't been star-gazing since I was little and I really want to." I sighed.

"Fine. Just give me a minute." I felt him kiss my cheek.

"Thank you," he whispered. I smiled.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," I muttered. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. "Where are we even going?"

"I-" He paused. "Follow me." He took my hand. "But be quiet when we leave this room. Darry and Sodapop are sleepin'." I  nodded and he creaked the door open. "Shhhh," he warned. I smiled and nodded.

He stopped in the center of the hallway. He looked up, so I did too. On the ceiling there was an attic door. Ponyboy pulled it down and stairs fell down. He looked back, smiled, then started up. I stepped up onto the first step.

"Why are we going up here?" I asked.

"Stop asking questions," he said, laughing.

When he got to the top, he turned around and help me up.

"Okay, we can talk normally now," he told.

"Okay, why are we up here?"

He took my hand hand and started walking towards a wooden chest with dust all over it. It looked like it hadn't been touched in years. He opened it and took out a large case. He placed the case on the floor. He opened it, revealing that it was, in fact, a telescope.

"Let's go," he said, shutting the case and standing up. He picked it back up.

"Where?"

"There's a park that I went to when I was little," he explained. "It's very, very dark, so it's easier to see space."

"Oh okay." I smiled.

"Come on." We walked down the stairs and left the house.

"Does Darry know that we're leaving?" I asked.

"No," Ponyboy told. "If I told him, he wouldn't let us go. It's fine."

We walked to the park. It was pitch black. When I say pitch black, it was pitch black. I couldn't see a thing. He started setting up the telescope.

"You know, this used to be my dad's," he said. "He left it to Darry because it meant so much to him. That's one of the reasons why Darry wouldn't have let us go."

"Well..."

"And also, Darry never uses it anyways." I nodded. "And I don't stay out here very long. It was just really important to my dad, so it's really important to me. And so are you." I smiled and watched him finish putting together the telescope. He smiled too. "Okay, so I'm gonna set it at the moon, okay?" I nodded.