Chapter 17

Dear Journal,

6/21/1968

I'm at Ponyboy's right now. Today was the last day of school. The whole gang is here. Steve, Soda, and Darry are in the kitchen and Two-Bit is in the kitchen. It's pretty late. Something happened at lunch. Curly was there.

We were at lunch. I was sittin' with Cherry, Marcia, Ponyboy, and Two-Bit. I guess they didn't really care, since it's the last day of school. Anyways, I felt a tap on my shoulder. Curly.

"(Y/N)," he stated. "Can I talk to you over there?"

"No, Curly," I said. "Can you please go away?"

"(Y/N), please. I need to talk to you." I sighed.

"Fine," I said, standing up. "I'll be right back," I told Ponyboy.

Curly led me to the other side of the lunch room. I walked incredibly close to me and spoke clearly and softly.

"Look, (Y/N)," he started. "I just wanted to tell you that I'm done chasin' after you. I dont care what happens between you and Ponyboy. If he makes you happy, then there's nothin' I can do about that, huh..."

"Thank you, Curly," I told him. "I'm sorry if i ever offended you, but just know I don't regret it." He laughed.

"I don't blame you. Thank you," he said.

"You're welcome." I smiled. I started to walk away, but then I turned back around. "Wait, didn't you get suspended?"

"Yeah, why?" he asked.

"Nothing, it's just that...You were only gone for like 2 days. What was the point of the suspension?"

"Well, it was gonna be for two weeks, but school was ending, so the principal told me that I could just come back for the last day. 'Said I'll make it up next year."

"That sucks. I'm sorry."

"No, it's fine. It wasn't your fault. If I was gonna blame anyone it would be Ponyboy."

Okay, kid.

"Oh, well, hang in there, bud. Bye." I walked back to our table.

"What did that dope have to say?" Marcia asked as I sat down.

"Eh, nothin' much. Just that he wasn't gonna bother me or Ponyboy anymore," I told.

"He's not?!" Ponyboy asked.

"Well, he said that he's mad at you about gettin' him suspended, though," I noted.

"Shoot, I couldn't care less! Let him be mad. As long as he leaves us alone." Ponyboy put his arm around me. Cherry looked mad. I couldn't laugh on the outside, but believe you me, on the inside, I was laughin' like hell.

At the end of the day, we were obviously in Ms. Mopan's. It was a half-day, so it was about 11:30. Most of the class was listening, but me and Ponyboy were having a side-conversation. What about? I don't know, but it wasn't of importance.

So me and Ponyboy were walking out holding hands. It's become a regular now. I'm actually really happy that it has. Like I've said... I love him.

"Are you guys dating?" asked a kid behind of us. For the life of me, I can't remember who it was.

"No," Ponyboy said. He started walkin' faster, so I just laughed and followed him.

We walked to his house. We were pretty quiet, other than idle conversations.

Right now, it's about one in the morning. I think I'm sleein' over. I still haven't told my parents that I broke up with Curly. And I don't think that I'm gonna. If I do, then they wont let me sleep over Ponyboy's anymore.