Chapter 15

Dear Journal,

6/14/1968

I honestly can't stand Curly. Ever since I broke up with him, he's called me everyday. At least once. I broke up with him for a reason, and I don't understand why he doesnt understand that.

He's blaming Ponyboy, too. He's been trying to talk to me, he's been trying to get me to stop talking to Ponyboy, and he's been trying to embarrass Ponyboy in front of me. It's really irritating. If I could lead him off of the earth, I would.

Anyways, today after school, Ponyboy and I were walking out together. We were gonna walk to his house, but as we were leaving the school, Curly stopped us.

"Hey, babe," he remarked.

"Don't call me that," I said.

"Babe," he slurred. "Come on! Let me take you out."

"Not a chance, bud," I said, slightly pushing him out of the way.

Ponyboy and I started walking off campus, when we heard footsteps behind us. I turned around and Curly was literally following us.

"Curly. Go away," Ponyboy said.

"Why?" Curly asked, laughin'. "I wanna ask (Y/N) something."

"What?" I asked as he stepped towards me.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" he asked.

"No, Curly," I said, stepping away from him. "I broke up with you about three weeks ago. Get over it."

Ponyboy grabbed my hand and started to walk away I followed him. Still, I heard Curly behind us. He wasn't walking slow or fast, but he was walking at the exact same speed that I was, which I thought was really weird.

We got to his house and me and Ponyboy walked in. Sodapop was sitting on one couch, while Darry and Two-Bit were sitting on the other one. Soda and Two-Bit were lookin' at the TV while Darry was readin' the newspaper.

"Hey, guys," I said, walking in. "Whatcha watchin'?"

"Mickey," Soda told.

"I love Mickey, oh my God," I apprised. I sat next to Sodapop. He looked at me and smiled.

"Uh... (Y/N)?" Ponyboy asked, still standing.

"Hey, Soda, where's Steve today?" Two-Bit asked.

"Shoot, I don't know!" Sodapop exclaimed. "Heck, if I knew, I would bring him over." I shook my head.

"Yeah, Ponyboy?" I asked.

"What do you wanna do about this idiot outside?" Ponyboy asked. I shrugged.

"Who is it?" Darry asked. I turned to him.

"Curly," I told.

"Curly?" Darry asked. "I thought y'all broke up!" I looked at Ponyboy.

"Well, he asked, and I told him that you broke up," Ponyboy stated.

"Nuh-uh," Soda said, chiming in. "You were talking about if for three days straight. 'Oh, Darry isn't this wonderful?' 'Soda, Soda, Soda! They're still broken up!' 'I hate Curly for dating her...' You, brother, were a mess."

"That's not true," Ponyboy replied, blushing.

"Oh, come on, Soda," Darry said, standing up. "Leave him alone."

"Yeah, Soda," Ponyboy said. "Leave him alone." Darry looked through the blinds on the window.

"Yep, there he is. Sheesh. How did you date him?" Darry asked. I shrugged. Soda sat up and look through the blinds too.