CHAPTER EIGHT

"Encore! Encore!"

The sisters looked at one another. Who had dared climb up the cliffs and intrude on their evening entertainment? Janet went to the window that was still open to see who it was.

She noticed the front gate was ajar. In the garden stood a young woman of independent bearing, with a palette and brushes in her hand. An easel was pitched a few yards beyond the gate. Janet regarded the young woman with surprise.

"I apologise for trespassing," she said calmly, "but I simply couldn't resist coming nearer to hear the marvellous violin playing. I apologise for disturbing you. 'Encore' escaped from my lips quite unconsciously."

"We don't mind your listening," said Janet although she really did mind the trespass.

"Who was playing?"

Janet gasped at the young woman's impertinence. The latter laughed frankly.

"I ask because it could only be a well known musician."

"It's a friend who is recuperating with us," said Janet protectively.

"I beg your pardon," she said. "I'm Olga Daniloff, sister of Boris Daniloff, the violinist. The musical world is a small one and I might know the musician if they play professionally."

Jakob was being congratulated by their guests so Jill joined her sister by the window. She gazed at the attractive, well dressed young lady two floors below. Olga had a noticeable German accent and Jill wondered if her appearance was part of some plan to get close to Jakob.

"Jakob is exhausted from the excitement. We shouldn't let him over exert himself," Jill pleaded "Maybe another time."

Olga apologised for the intrusion and bade them good afternoon before withdrawing to her easel.

"A most forward, young woman," exclaimed Janet. "And who is Boris Daniloff, I should like to know."

Jakob who noticed Jill's absence from his side had turned towards the window. Upon hearing fragments of Janet's reply, bent eagerly forward in great excitement.

"Boris Daniloff, world renowned violinist, do you know him?"

"No, I do not," replied Janet hesitantly.

Jakob sank back disappointed and exhausted onto the pillows on his bed.

Knowing nothing of Boris Daniloff other than what Jakob said, it was obvious that they had a remarkable violinist living with them. Wilfred Mead, who had played the double bass in the Hospital Orchestral Society, admitted that Jakob's playing was genius. Jakob suddenly had a new and somewhat awe inspiring value in the eyes of the ladies.

"A genius," echoed Jill, her imagination inflamed by the magic of the word. The same hands that made heart stopping music on a violin, did the same with her body. She looked at his hands and blushed at the images that flushed in her mind. Jill hoped that the attractive young woman's visit was innocuous but the hair standing at the back of her neck told her different.

November 6, 2015

It takes your vote and comments for this story to be ranked on wattpad. If you enjoyed reading this chapter, please share it with your friends, vote, comment, review etc...Thank you so much for stopping by and reading this chapter. Love y'all!

Want to keep informed of updates as they happen, add Ladies in Lavender to your reading list. Thanks AS x