Backstory part 4: auditions

Sorry I didn't update yesterday, I was really busy.

It was the end of 7th grade year.

I hadn't even acknowledged my feelings for Lucas. I didn't even know if they existed. It's like I just forgot.

Anyway, it was about April of 7th grade year and It was about time for auditions for the talent show. Every year, I sing while playing the piano for the talent show.

I think I'm pretty good and so do most people. It's just a bunch of people in my class are really rude. Whenever I'm singing while we're switching classes or whatever they say "no one asked for your bad singing." I don't usually let it get to me, but sometimes I just stop and think "maybe they're right."

I walked to the audition room. A few people went before me, including Jake.

He turned into such a jerk. He was one of the people that made fun of me for singing. It just hurt to know that he used to care about me so much and now he's so mean to me and he doesn't even consider how I feel about it.

It was my turn, so I walk up to the piano.

Usually I had no trouble getting into the talent show because the music teacher loved me. He thought that I was amazing.

I was sitting at the piano and I started playing the intro to my song. After I was done with my song, "Too Young" I went back to my seat.

I felt like that was the worst I had ever sang. I thought it was awful. I wasn't focusing, mostly because Jake was in the room.

~~~

It was Friday afternoon- the day that we would find out if we got into the talent show. I didn't feel very confident, knowing that I didn't preform my best. It was lunch time and I had to wait two more periods until I found out. 

"Do you think you got in?" Riley said as she took a bite of her pizza.

"I don't think I did. I always get in really easily but I just feel like I could have performed a lot better." I said as I took a sip of lemonade.

"Well why weren't you focused?" Asked Riley.

"Jake. He's such a jerk. I have always thought I was a good singer, but he makes me feel bad about everything I do all the time. So I couldn't focusing on singing or playing the piano because he was there," I said.

"I think your a really good singer." Riley said.

"But what about Missy?" I ask her.

Missy was an amazing singer. She's so naturally good. She usually didn't try out for the talent show, but that year she did. I felt like I was gonna get cut from the talent show and she wouldn't. It would be so humiliating because I have always been the singer in our class. Missy and I were friends, so I would have to support her.

"What about her? She's really good. I think your better. No one here has heard you sing the way that I have heard you. If they heard you sing the way that I know you can, they would feel stupid for making fun of you for no reason." Riley said.

I felt like people in school really did think that i was a bad singer. I think they thought that i was a bad singer cause they had never seriously heard me sing, as Riley said. They heard me sing when I was really young, but I was inexperienced. I was still growing into the talent. If I get into the talent show, I thought, I will prove them all wrong.