TWENTY-FOUR (Edited)

SARAH:

Christmas Eve; the day before Christmas. For many, it is usually a day filled with happiness and joy. It is that day when people gather with their loved ones to make the final preparations for the day ahead. It is the day when Santa goes through his list of naughty and nice children, deciding which wishes are to be granted. I had never-not once- believed in Santa. But now I was hoping he could grant my own wish; my wish to spend Christmas day with Jacob.

But I knew Santa couldn't really do anything. Because in truth, the only one keeping Jacob from me, was me. Even after Jo had come to me and told me how Jacob had confessed his love for me to her, I still refused to give him a chance. At the time I had instead been upset at the fact that they had even spoken to each other. I believed that I was gonna get over Jacob somehow, even though I couldn't go five minutes without thinking of him.

"Sarah... breakfast" my mum called. I sighed rising from my bed. I drew my curtains to allow more light into my room before heading downstairs for breakfast. As I walked down, the doorbell rang.

"Sweety, could you get that" my mum called from the dinning room.

I anticipated that it was my mother's boyfriend. He had been around a lot of late. He was a nice guy, but I didn't like him. It was nothing personal, but I just didn't like mum cheating on dad with him, though she told me she had divorced my father. I shouldn't have considered him my father after all he had done, but I guess it's just natural to feel uncomfortable when your parents see other people.

When I opened the door however, it wasn't my mother's boyfriend, it was Joan. She looked anxiously depressed. "I thought I made it clear that I didn't want to see you or Jacob again..." I announced.

"Sarah, Jacob loves you so, so much... And somewhere beneath your pride, I know you feel the same."

"Listen Jo, if that's what you're here for, you better leave. I don't wanna hear it anymore. Just stay away from me, you and Jacob!"

"Sarah, is that what you really want?"

"Yes!" I blurted.

"Well then you've got it. Cause Jacob is leaving town..." she said.

I felt dizzy on hearing her final statement. "What do you mean he's leaving town?!" I enquired alarmed.

"Jacob is leaving Sarah. You've pushed him away so much that he's going to leave Francis city" she said emotion building up in her voice.

"No!... why?when?"

"He's probably on his way to railroad station as we speak."

I was devastated by the news I was hearing. I slid down the door till I was sitting on the doorstep. Tears of despair began to form in my eyes as I realised what I had done.

Joan squatted beside me and said, "Sarah, I love Jacob too. And it was close to impossible to accept that he had chosen you. But I did. I love him so much that I just want to see him happy. That happiness is with you. Sarah I know you can stop him from leaving. If you're fast enough you can catch him at the station before he leaves."

I didn't think twice about it. I wiped away my tears and rushed inside to get my coat.

"You coming?" I asked Joan.

"I can't; he asked me not to tell you...." she explained.

I nodded my head comprehensively before setting off.

"Sarah" Jo called.

"Yeah?" I said turning back.

"Good luck..."