Chapter 6: Phil

Two months later

Dan and I have done a pretty good job hiding our relationship, and except for a few slip-ups, we had mostly learned the art of control. Even in those times of relapse, we never got very far before cutting it off.

Tonight was New Years, and Dan and I have stockpiled food, video games, and movies to keep us occupied. At 8:00, Dan opened a bag of crisps and popped in a movie. I snuggled up next to him, and he put his arm around me, holding me in place. About halfway through the movie, I drifted off to sleep.

"Phil." Dan gently shakes me in an effort to wake me up. I stretch, and look at the clock. 11:55, it reads. "Dan, why didn't you wake me sooner?" I say. "That probably wasn't the most comfortable, me sleeping on your arm."
"It was fine, Phil. You're actually kind of cute when you are asleep."

My face warmed, and I could feel the blush spread to my cheeks. I looked away so Dan wouldn't see. But when I turned back, the smirk he had on his face told me he did.

The people on the TV started counting down, and we did the same. When we got to zero, we yelled "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" and hugged.

"Dan, the people on the screen are kissing."
"Well, that's what people do on New Years, Phil."
"Can we do that?"
"I don't kiss on New Years, it's only the first date."

He chuckled at his own joke, but it was forced. He stared at me, and the look in his eyes told me he wanted to kiss me more than anything. He looked down. Slowly, I raised his head, so he was looking me in the eyes. I grabbed his neck and pulled him to me for our first kiss of the new year.