Chapter Forty-two

Nicasio had spent the better part of his next day back in Athens on the Internet in the Blagen library. He had searched for any mention of new studies devoted to Juan de Fuca, either in English or Spanish, internationally. There was certainly nothing significantly newer than what he had already read about the elusive voyager over the past years during his research on California explorers. De Fuca's participation in West coastal history of the New World, whether great or small, was vague at best and there was no hardcore evidence that he had played any contributing role other than the second hand rumors and legends of the period which had alluded to him. Most of these reports were recorded after he was said to have returned to Europe at an advanced age. This led Nicasio next on a fervent search for the missing Spanish professor who had corroborated with Dr. Vasiliou on the discovered diaries and obviously their translation.

By the end of the day three possible female candidates had surfaced as having left the University of Seville ten or so years previously and under sudden circumstances. In any case, due to the time which had passed, there were no relevant facts he could discern without possibly traveling to Spain. And this was not something Nicasio particularly cared anymore to do.

Looking at his vintage Blackberry, Nicasio saw several recent calls from the professor, but no messages or calls from Daniela. He tried to allay his fears about her, though he was certain she would contact him perhaps from the Greek professor's house phone that evening. Upon returning to his room, he found several messages taped to the door of his room. They all insisted that he call his professor back in California immediately. His task of accomplishing this was made easy by the fact that as he opened the door of his room, the dormitory phone was already buzzing in its annoying way.

"Nicasio? Is that you?"

"Yes, Dr. Simons . . . I just returned from the library."

"Listen. I don't know what you've learned over there today but things are developing here rapidly. I've discovered some sort of . . . active cell with direct ties to that research team some ten years ago. . . the one headed up by Vasiliou."

"Some sort of cell?"

"Some sort of subversive organization, yes. It's not confined only to Stanford and a few female researchers down there. It seems to be international. Only female, and it's big. Extremely big!"

"Why do you say subversive?"

"What if I said deadly?"

"Are you saying that?"

The professor's voice had finally calmed down. "We're putting it all together now, Nicasio. . . and listen. . . it doesn't look good."

He waited for an explanation.

The professor seemed overly cautious to say more on the phone.

"So what did your girlfriend find out about our . . . ghost over on Andros?"

"I haven't heard from her yet, though I'm certain she'll call this evening. As I told you she seems to be . . . in the woman's good graces. My own poking around would've been too obvious."

"That's right."

"But Daniela's scheduled to return on Wednesday . . . in a couple of days. She should know a lot more about the professor's former work by then. I'm sure of it."

"You mean her continuing work. She's still very active within this thing, Nicasio. It's becoming very clear to me and the investigators. I suppose I should warn you . . . Daniela could be in some danger there."

"Danger?  What are you talking about, Dr. Simons? And just who are you working with back in California where you're getting all this info?"