Chapter Four

The flight from San Francisco to New York, where Nicasio and Daniela would connect for Athens, had begun uneventfully and a bit uncomfortably, as the tickets the professor had purchased were 'economy class.' Nevertheless, after take off, it was a long-awaited opportunity for the two to catch up on what had been occupying their lives since Nicasio's decision to assist Professor Simons. So much had changed since this sudden disruption to their previous routines. Though Daniela did not mention Bryant and his recent advances the week before, she shared with Nicasio the new business project and how it would put her in a more valuable light with the firm, and especially her immediate supervisor, Mr. Cuomo.

"Are you sure this isn't just another of Cuomo's ploys to try to get you into bed?" Nicasio asked, surprisingly smiling. For the past year Daniela had kept him aware of her boss's unwanted attraction to her and his not-so-subtle advances. Yet, at each of these reports in the past, Nicasio had merely used the information as an opportunity to tease her—though she never understood the humor in it.

"No," she responded confidently this time. "Actually . . . he was pretty serious about my skills for once. He wants my computer graphic smarts. And my full assistance on the project." She smiled back self-assuredly. "There's even supposed to be a pay raise when it's final."

"Hmm . . . knowing Cuomo, we'll have to see about that. So, anyway . . . it seems Miss Dani here is in high demand these days. Your supervisor must be looking for something more than his . . . usual." Nicasio grinned again and leaned over to kiss her, condescendingly.

She quickly pulled away, not allowing him the demeaning gesture.

"And by the way, Nicasio . . . I can handle myself with Mr. Cuomo. All jerks like him are the same. It's quite easy to put them off . . . just annoying, that's all."

He could see she was not amused by the banter.

"OK, but seriously, Angel," he offered as an afterthought. "I do think it's nice you're being better appreciated there."

She glanced back at him, expressionlessly.

"I mean for whatever reason. Cuomo has always been such a pathetic ass to you. And he's lucky to have someone with your talents working there. Come on. You and I both know that."

While the plane reached its terminal altitude and was now flying somewhere over Arizona, Daniela remained quiet and refrained from looking at him further. It was in response to his obviously contrived compliments. After another twenty minutes of silent flight, which Nicasio perceived as punishment, she finally spoke up again.

"So . . . Professor Carvajal. Now that we're both in the same place at the same time . . . are you going to share the purpose of our mission to Athens with me? You don't even know how much trouble I had getting away with this."

Nicasio was still exhausted from his last minute packing the night before. He had been trying those twenty minutes unsuccessfully to sleep in his cramped passenger seat. Much earlier they had arrived separately by taxi at the San FranciscoInternationalAirport. It was an ungodly hour. And though now it was only 8:45 AM, Nicasio was very conscious of the fact that he had not slept all night.

He opened his eyes and turned to her patiently. "Well. . . OK, mi novia. Here's the good news." He spoke in a low, monotone voice, his eyes closing periodically while his seat was still reclined. He was hoping to divert a complete debriefing of the project at that early hour in favor of just a little more sleep.

"Great." She said smiling. You know I like good news, professor."

"Well . . . see . . . you won't really have to tag along everywhere I go when we get there. There'll probably be a lot of opportunities for you to just . . . chill. You know. Do your own thing. Go sight-seeing . . . shop . . . whatever."