He was watching me with a small smile on his face.

His hand reached up to the corner of my mouth and wiped at my skin.

I saw that there was some chocolate on the pad of his thumb which he then promptly licked off.

My eyes widened slightly, my heart rate picking up at his actions and I had to swallow hard.

"You alright there?" Damon questioned and I nodded my head quickly.

We stayed in the motel room for about another twenty minutes before taking what little things we had arrived with and leaving the small room.

All this time we were quiet and walking side by side, our arms bumping past each other slightly which caused me to jump a few times but I never showed it.

By the time we made it to the car, I had managed to put every little small thing about Damon to the back of my mind since I didn't want to be thinking about him when he was right beside me.

I just needed to keep my cool for the next few hours. In the car. With Damon. In silence.

Great.

I needed to think of a way to distract myself for the journey otherwise I know I'll let Damon slip his way back into my thoughts.

Which I really missed.

Even waking up in his arms made me feel like jelly. Which I had also missed. Very badly.

Just any sort of contact with Damon and I was completely lost in my own mind and in him really.

I had my legs crossed in my seat with my shoes kicked off and on the floor as Damon was driving down the freeway once again.

I actually kind of recognised it from my last trip with Damon to New Orleans. Certain signs and little restaurants that we passed from the last time stuck in my brain.

"Hey Harri." Damon said suddenly and my attention glued to him.

"Yea?"

"Why didn't you come back sooner?"

I paused. I was waiting for these questions.

"Because I didn't want too."

Damon gave out a snort of laughter "Yea, I'm gonna need a little more than that crap lie."

I glared at him "It's not a lie. I wanted a break from Mystic Falls as I was done with all the bullshit that it threw at me."

Damon stayed quiet for a moment after I snapped at him and I kind of felt bad for being so harsh.

"I just needed a break from everything. Is that too much to ask?" I said in an exasperated tone.

"A break from everything or a break from me?" Damon said softly, glancing at me quickly before returning his eyes to the road.

"From both." Was all I could say without meaning to hurt Damon's feelings.

Until he said that I didn't really think about my reasons. But now it was just stuck in my head.

I left because I didn't want to hurt Damon. I was so scared of even being in the same room as him when I had my hunter instincts.

It was driving me insane. And Damon could tell it was.

"It's ok, I understand..." Damon trailed off taking a turn quickly and returning to driving on a straight road.

The rest of the drive was complete and utter silence.