Chapter 13

The boys stayed in the conference room for at least another two hours. While we waited, Marley and I took Carter and Marley to a playground that was close to the pack house.

"So you and Ryder, is that really over?" She asks me, looking at me with that devilish smile as we walk to the park.

"Oh hell yes!" I exclaim and she laughs. "No, I'm serious. I'm over all the possessive alpha bullshit. He may be Carter's father but he will not be my mate. He broke my heart, and I am not willing to let him break it more."

"And how is your wolf feeling about that decision?" She asks, glancing at me.

"She absolutely hates it. When he's near, he's all she can talk about. I know it hurts her a lot more than it hurts me, but I don't have another choice." I say with a sigh.

The rest of the walk is pretty silent. As soon as the kids see the playground, they run off and Marlet and I find a bench to sit on while the kids get rid of all their energy.

As we watch our kids play around, Marley and I sit on one of the nearby benches. "Can I ask you a serious question?" Marley asks, looking at me.

"Of course" I reply, taking my eyes off of Carter going down the slide to look at my best friend.

"Why did you never come back, Kara? Didn't you miss us, miss me?" She asks.

I give her a "Are you crazy" look, "Of course I missed you, Mar. You are the one thing I missed about my old life," I sigh, "I guess I fell in love with a normal life. I liked having my own job, making my own money, raising my son the way I wanted to. Even when Ryder found me three years ago, I-"

"Wait, he found you? Three years ago?" Marley asked me, looking shocked.

"Yeah, he went to close an account at my work, and then bothered me for a couple of days. He was trying to win me back, telling me he couldn't go on knowing that he has a son that doesn't know he exists. The first few days were merely annoying, but after that, I just got so sick of it and I snapped. Then, he finally gave up and left me alone." I reply, "Wait, he never told anyone?" I ask.

"No, if he did tell anyone, he certainly didn't tell me! Ugh, that idiot!" She groans, "You know I told him to go find you when he rejected you. Dammit, if he had just listened to me none of this would be happening," She groans.

"Well on the bright side, at least we got this reunion that we both needed," I say with a smile, "and I also want to thank you for being there for the boys while I was gone. I know stepping up into the luna role was hard and I am so sorry I forced all of that on you."

She smiles at me, sliding over to my side of the bench and wrapping me up in her arms, "Well, at least you're back now and we can go back to being the two musketeers."

"Oh Mar, I don't thin-" I start the sentence that's going to break her heart, but my phone starts ringing in my purse. I grab my phone and see the caller ID: Ryder.

I slide to answer and hold the phone to my ear, "Hello"

"WHERE ARE YOU?!?" He yells into the phone.

"Dude chill out, Marley and I took the kids to the park. They were bored" I say, already irritated with this conversation.

"Well tell them its time to go and come back to the pack house immediately." He replies, before hanging up.

"Let me guess, Ryder?" Marley asks as she stands up, stretching her body.

"Yep, he's in a mood. We gotta go back to the house." I sigh as I turn around and look for the kids.