Chapter 5

I drive to work quickly, wanting to see Carter. I get there at 8 and walked in, to see my son sitting on his mini desk.

He looks up to see me and smiles, running over to hug me, "Mommy!!" He says as he runs into my embrace.

I pick him up and hug him close to me. It's these kinds of hugs that make parenthood worth it. "Hi baby! I missed you," I mumble in his tiny shoulder, then put little kisses all over his face.

He laughs, "mommy stop!" He says, while trying to push my face away. Once he pushes my face away, he smushes my cheeks together, "Mommy stop that!" He says seriously, giving me a glare.

I glare back, "I'm mommy, I do what I want!" I say and give him another kiss before putting him down.

He runs back to his desk, and I walk over to Sandy, "Hi Sandy, thank you again for watching Carter last night."

She just smiles and pulls me in for a hug, "You're very welcome dear. I'm happy I could help out, Carter was amazing, no trouble at all."

I return the smile and walk back to my desk, starting my work. I work with a couple clients, do some paperwork. Then at about 12, while I'm in the middle of an appointment, a delivery man comes in with a dozen red roses, "I...uh...have a delivery for Ms. Kara Simmons."

Sandy smiles at the delivery man and then points at me. The guy walks over and places the vase on my desk and makes me sign.

As he walks away, my client, an older lady says, "Wow, what beautiful flowers, your husband sure must be something." She says

I shake my head, "oh no, I'm not married." I reassure her.

She just smiles at me, "Well the man who bought you the flowers definitely wants to put a ring on it."

I smile back at her and nod, but inside my head I was like oh hell no.

I finish off the appointment before I look at the note in the flowers...

Wish I could see the smile on your face as you read this note

Love,
Your baby daddy
Ryder

My first initial reaction was to roll my eyes, but soon after I smiled, just a little bit. This does NOT mean that I will be getting back with him. He's only doing this because I have the one thing he wants but can't get himself, his son. I look over to see Carter walking over to me and I quickly put the note in my desk.

"Mama, where you get the flowers?" He asks, pointing at the flowers.

I smile and shake my head, "Someone gave them to me" I say, but quickly change the subject "Come over and eat your lunch, baby." I say as I put a turkey sandwich on his desk.

He eats his lunch and takes his nap in the break-room while I continue working. As I work my mind trails to wolves, which is surprising because I haven't thought about wolves since Carter was born. Hell, I haven't shifted in almost 4 years.

I thought about my wolf and how life in the pack has been. I had friends in the pack, some of my best friends, who I haven't spoken to in years. I also haven't seen some of the pack members that made my life hell. Lastly I thought about how the pack hasn't had a luna in 4 years and I think that's what made me the most sad. The moon goddess paired me with Ryder so that I could be a strong Luna, yet here I am, hiding with the future alpha of a pack that doesn't want me.

All of a sudden I growl to myself, I didn't do any of this. Ryder rejected me, he told me to leave, he told me never to come back. This is all Ryder's fault. I snap a pencil in my hand, and that's when I shake the thoughts away and continue working. I finish my work a little early, so I decide to take my baby and head home. I tell Sandy bye and that I'll see her on Monday, since I don't work tomorrow, and I take Carter and we go home, along with Ryder's flowers.