Without Him

Hermione looked over at Fred for help. He wasn't looking at her. He was looking at Ron, who sat diagonal from him, and eventually scanned the rest of his family. Hermione's hand found his, after a short search, under the table. He squeezed her hand for dear life, not wanting it to come out right now. He wasn't nervous, until it came down to it. Now he was definitely nervous.
"Um..." His hands got shaky.
"Fred Weasley what did you do?" Mrs.Weasley demanded.
All eyes were on Fred. Nobody said anything or moved at all, except for the grin that flashed upon Harry's face, from opposite of the secret couple. Hermione gave him a glare, and Harry's face immediately turned serious again.
"Well..." Fred started. "Nothing." He hoped to get away with that. His family knew better, obviously.
"Oh come on!" Ron spat, standing up so fast his chair fell over. "You know what you did and I will kill you for it!" Rage filled Ron as he shook an accusing finger at Fred. Ron looked like tears were going to spill out of his eyes.
Hermione was red, and looked like she was petrified, just like in second year.
"Enough shouting, Ron. What did you do, Fred?" Mrs. Weasley yelled at him.
Everyone seemed to lean in closer to hear him, just in case he mumbled.
Before Fred could say anything, Hermione stood up, too. She quickly let go of Fred's hand, just in case.
"Ron, you're not just going to blame Fred for this. He has a lot going on and he needs someone." Everyone seemed surprised at Hermione's sudden outburst. They also seemed confused as to what they were arguing about. "And it's not his fault. It wasn't a foul move just because you think it is. We aren't together, and it's not because of him." Hermione quickly realized everybody around her was looking up at her. Her face flushed and she quickly sat down.
Fred seemed amused at the outburst, especially with 'front-row seating'.
"What are you talking about?" Mrs.Weasley asked.
"Me and Hermione are... Are... Together." Fred said, defeated.
Nothing came out of the family, except a few gasps. Ron shrunk down in his seat, Hermione swallowed, Fred held Hermione's hand, and everyone else was shocked. Harry however, seemed extremely amused.
After what felt like a million years, Ginny spoke.
"Say something!" She encouraged the people around her.
"I think it's nice." Everyone moved there eyes down the table to Percy. "I honestly do."
"It's... Absurd, well, unexpected."Mrs. Weasley shook her head. "But, I think it's sweet! Oh, Fred!" She smiled and stood to hug the two.
"I'm happy you found someone to help you out, mate." Charlie said.
Everyone kept asking exciting questions about them. First kiss, where it they started dating, how long, along those lines. Ron, sometime in this bombardment of questions, got up and left the room.
Hermione felt bad after noticing the empty chair at the table. He had nothin to eat, except a bite or two of potatoes. Her stomach turned in knots. She wanted to comfort him, tell him not to worry about it, that she still card for him, and that she loved him as a friend. But she couldn't do that now. She had to make sure that everyone took in Fred and her's relationship. Hermione had to be with Fred right now.
They finally sat back down to eat their dinner, which warmed them up after the good news. Hermione was kind of sick of potatoes, because she had them a lot lately, but Mrs.Weasley's potatoes are the best.
They kept a nice family conversation up, but Hermione was still focused on Ron. Before Hermione noticed, she and everybody else had finished their meal. Everyone was talking about Hogwarts.
"Okay, okay." Fred waved his hands in front of him to cut people off. "Me and Mi- '''Mione are tired. Can you give us a minute to talk?"
The family looked at each other.
"Fine, we'll leave." Fred grouched, jokingly, and grabbed Hermione's hand. She took it and he led her to the living room, leaving the family to talk.
"What's up?" Hermione asked, standing in front of Fred, who was sitting on the couch, hand in hand.
"I just... I don't know about Hogwarts, anymore." Really! We have three months until September.
"Why? Fred you know you want to. You have to fill the hole in your life." Hermione said, talking about George.
"So I have a hole in my life?" Fred growled. He was trying to keep his temper down, but it was obvious he didn't take it the right way.
"Fred, i meant George. You miss him, which is natural, and he's gone. Some crazy and wild part of you is missing. I really want to be there for you, Fred. To help you get over it better. You need to go to Hogwarts." She started tearing up. George and her never really got to know each other well, but it was rough to see Fred like this. Her and Fred really weren't close until after the battle.
"I just... Reminders." He had tears streaking his face. He buried his face in his cold hands. Hermione sat next to him and wrapped her arms around him. She didn't 100% relate, but she understood what it was like. She had a few tears herself, but she tried to stay strong for Fred.
"Mia..." Fred whispered, moving his hands to his fiery hair.
"Yeah?" She whispered back. Her chin was resting on his back.
"Can you send the letter so I can't turn back?" His voice trailed off.
"Of course." She grabbed her wand and a quill, ink, and parchment appeared. She began to write-
Dear McGonagall,
I am writing about the offer I, Fred Weasley, got from Hogwarts a few weeks ago. I would love to attend again this year. I understand the rules and agreements. My parents do not need to be contacted for any misbehaviors (because there will definitely be some). I will board the Hogwarts Express and share a dorm with
Hermione stopped writing. "Fred," she whispered.
He grunted in response.
"Who will you stay with? In a dorm, I mean."
He gave some thought. "Hogsmeade has apartments."
"You can only stay there on weekends." Hermione reminded.
"Um... With Harry, Neville, Seamus and-"
"Ron." Hermione finished.
Fred swore under his breath. Why did he hate his brother so much? Hermione was his now.
"Alone!" He said.
"Well, I guess McGonagall can choose." Hermione said and began writing again, from where she left off.
(and share a dorm with) whomever you want me to be with. If possible, alone.
Thank you for the offer, and see you on September 1st.
Fred Weasley.
"Mia," Fred's voice was steadier now. "D'you think I can play Quidditch?"
She never thought about it. She scribbled at the end of the letter real quick.
P.S. Am I eligible to play on the Gryffindor Quidditch team? I would love to audition if possible.
Fred Weasley.
Hermione had him sigh his name both times. The first time she wrote, but he scribbled it out, saying it was too girly, and rewrote it himself.
Hermione bewitched the letter to Hogwarts, for she didn't have her owl with her.
"You're officially a Hogwarts seventh year." Hermione whispered, hugging him from behind.
"Without him... Who knew?" He said quietly.
"It's okay." She responded, rubbing his back with her hands trying to soothe him.
The next morning, Hermione woke up in her bed. She remembered how she sent the letter last night, and she wanted to go to Diagon Alley today or tomorrow.
She got up, and went to the bathroom. She took a shower, attempted to brush her hair perfectly, got dressed and brushed her teeth.
She went down into her kitchen, making herself tea. She put bread in the toaster, and waited for it.
She checked her purse, making sure she had enough money without going to Gringotts.
Soon, she finished her Nutella on toast, and was watching the previous night's Survivor: Second Chance episode.
Hermione, for some unknown reason really liked those shows. Adventure, action, and backstabbing. She couldn't believe who was voted off this episode, since he was her favorite at the time.
After her episode, she heard w knock at the door.
"Coming," she called.
She got up and jogged to the door, opening it up. She was shocked at who was at the door.
"What are you doing here?" Hermione asked shocked.