Chapter 57: Remembrance

Music is Becoming A Legend by John Dreamer. Play it!

Dedicated to all my Champions, because it's with you that I made it this far.

******

The people jostle each other excitedly, squirming in their seats to know the outcome of their bets. Typical Perinians. I resist the urge to give a disbelieving shake of the head.

"And the future Bane is—" My ears buzz. I'm abruptly overcome with dizziness. I feel so light on my feet—too light. Anxiousness is threatening to overwhelm me. I take in a deep breath, steeling my nerves. It's okay, I tell myself. It's okay.

"Squire Gilbert Falkner!"

Screams erupt from the crowd. Someone gets pushed out from our ranks, congratulating hands clapping his back—Gilbert. He looks slightly bewildered, scarcely believing what he just heard. He looks back towards us, as if looking for confirmation. Then his eyes meet mine.

We hold that stare for a while.

I search deep within me, looking for that flicker of jealousy that should be there. Throughout the years, this was the position I was vying for, the position that would finally heal the rift between my father and I. This was my childhood dream—my only ambition ever since I could process coherent thoughts in my head.

Yet I feel nothing but content. A satisfaction of knowing that everything is as it should be.

Because I'd made my decision months ago when we were training the soldiers. And I'd known Sir Kendrick's decision when he looked at me.

I flash Gilbert a tentative grin, silently saying that it's all right for him to take the position I wanted so badly. Relief floods his expression, and he returns the grin. He quickly wheels around, heading to where Sir Kendrick awaits with a gleaming sword in hand.

The process is rather similar to a knighting ceremony. Sir Kendrick steps forward, out of the stands; Gilbert drops down to one knee before his would-be master. "Do you, Gilbert Falkner, swear to uphold the word of the Pietists in every task you do, whether big or small?" Sir Kendrick begins solemnly.

"I do." Gilbert keeps his eyes trained on the tiny grains beneath his feet as he takes the ancient oath.

"Do you swear to be forever loyal to your country and king? To your Bane as a master?"

"I do."

"Do you swear to always act for the good of the people, no matter at what personal cost?"

"I do."

"Do you swear to uphold your duties as a Bane's apprentice with fervour and determination? Without complaint nor laxation?"

"I do."

"Then rise, Gilbert Falkner, for you are now my apprentice. Rise, and greet the faces of the people who cheer for you!"

Gilbert follows his master instructions, slowly rising onto his feet and scanning the audience. He pumps a victorious fist in the air, inducing another wave of enthusiasm from the spectators. His eyes sweep over the entire precinct, almost seeming to blaze a trail in their wake.

They land on me in the end.

I raise a fist to the air. A silent salute. He flattens his palm towards me, returning the gesture. Nobody notices our subtle exchange of respect, as candidates and common folk alike are too caught up in their rapturous ecstasy.

A fanfare blasts through the air, silencing everyone. "Now, we shall continue the celebrations of Remembrance Day!" declares King Terrell. His people scream in response. They eventually pour out of the stands, back into the celebration grounds, where the main events would be held.