Panic X Wattpad Special

Author's Note

In celebration of Amazon Prime Video's newest series Panic, I am thrilled to be teaming up with Amazon Prime Video and Wattpad to write this exclusive chapter that puts Constantine and Gilbert from this story into the world of Panic!

I hope this chapter intrigues and inspires you to learn more about Panic. Visit the #PanicWritingContest on Wattpad for the chance to put your creative writing chops to the test and learn more about the show!

To find out more about the contest, prizes, and how to enter, check out the #PanicWritingContest here: wattpad.com/AmazonPrimeVideo

Don't forget to watch the series premiere on May 28th, only on Amazon Prime Video, here: http://primevideo.com/

***

Tonight, the air is rife with panic.

Distant shrieks and gunshots fill the air. I hunch myself and scurry between the rows of maize stalks, their wispy frames silhouetted like ghosts in the night. My breathing steadies, the initial cold that had swept throughout me when the game was first announced gradually subsiding into icy adrenaline. Farmer Spurlock is distracted for now, chasing after the boys who were stupid enough to give themselves away.

It's a prime opportunity for me to sneak my way into the farmhouse.

My footsteps crunch against soil as I inch my way forward. Spurlock's farmland stretches on for at least 30 acres, and the main farmhouse—my destination—is located somewhere towards the south. But the shadows form a thick shroud that blanket my surroundings, and the light from my torch barely pierces through the maize field. I heave a sigh and check the time on my cell phone. Crap. 11.30 p.m. I have until midnight to complete my task—or I'm out of the game.

Spurred by anxiety, I trudge my way forward without giving a second thought. Why is the farmhouse nowhere near in sight? I've been walking around for an hour and a half now. I should have at least caught a glimpse of—

My foot snags on something, and I just have enough time to look sideways to see a net being flung over me.

I fall onto the ground, my elbow striking dirt and exploding with pain. My first instinct is to kick and struggle, but to no avail. I grit my teeth and unsheathe the small knife strapped to my thigh, sawing the ropes with the blade. The net snaps apart, and I scrabble to my feet. A small grin curves my lips. The hosts had warned us that this place was loaded with booby traps, but I knew even before they briefed us. I had plenty of time to study the area after the location clue had been given yesterday. And honestly, half of the world's problems would be solved if you had a handy knife on you at all times.

Now, where on earth is that damned farmhouse? I pull up the map on my phone, brows furrowing as I try to pinpoint my location in the blank, empty spaces that represent the maize fields.

I grunt in frustration and take another step forward.

The ground below me falls apart.

A yelp escapes me as I tumble into the hole. My skull cracks against stone, and it takes a while before I reorient myself. I peer upwards, at the height of the walls that surround me. God. Spurlock really must have nothing better to do than to dig out 12-feet pits around his farm all day long.

I look at the knife in my hand. Maybe only a quarter of the world's problems could be solved with a knife.

A flashlight suddenly shines into my eyes. I raise my fingers to shield my vision. "Constantine, in trouble again?"