The Troll

Just to make it clear before I start, it is Draco who reaches Hermione first, not Harry and Ron. Also, I apologise for the rubbish title, I suck at titles.

Hermione

I sit on the lid of the toilet, my knees tucked under my chin. I have been in here for a long time now, crying into my robes.

Did Ron really mean what he said? Does no one like me? Sure, I could be considered a know-it-all, but I put in the time and effort to research things. So what if I boss people around, I only want to stop them from getting into trouble.

Although, maybe I could give other people a chance to answer a question. Maybe I could be a little less demanding. Maybe Ron was right.

This is stupid. I shouldn't just sit in here, it's pathetic. Plus, I'm rather hungry and the Halloween feast has only just started.

I stand up and unlock the door, opening it and walking over to the sink to wash my tearstained face. That's when I notice the awful smell and the large shadow being cast on the wall that definitely does not belong to me. I look to my left reluctantly. Apparently I was so lost in my thoughts, I didn't notice a troll enter the bathroom.

~*~

Draco

The hall erupts in chaos as Quirrel falls to the floor. I remember having nightmares about trolls as a small child and a scream escapes my lips as the memories come back to me. The noise suggests that I'm not the only one.

"Silence!" yells Professor Dumbledore, somehow calmly over the noise, which immediately stops, "Teachers, follow me to the dungeon. Prefects, take their houses to their dormitory."

Everyone follows his orders and soon I find myself being lead to the dormitories. Then it occurs to me; Granger. I saw her running into the girls' bathroom, crying about something (probably 99% on a test). She can't know about the troll, which means someone has to tell her.

"I'm right behind you." I say to Crabbe and Goyle, who frown at me before dismissing it. Then I slip away from the rest of my house and run towards the girls' bathroom.

~*~

A scream erupts from the bathroom when I reach the door and for a moment I think I'm too late.

I push the door open an walk in to find Hermione cowering in a corner, the troll looming over her.

"Hey!" I yell and they both turn to face me.

Think, Draco, think, I tell myself.

"STUPEFY!" I yell at it, pointing my wand in it's direction. The troll flies backwards and Hermione scrambles out of the way, grabbing onto my arm. The troll hits the wall and falls to the ground, unconscious.

We stand and stare at it for a moment, both in awe of what I have just done.

"Where did you learn that?" she asks me.

"My father." I reply.

"Wow. You saved my life."

"Well, you know I..." I start. Hermione stands on her toes and kisses my cheek.

"Thank you." she says, "Come on, we'd better find a teacher."

She grabs my hand and we exit the bathroom, leaving the unconscious troll crumpled on the floor.