Romeo and Juliet

This is an au where they don't go to Hogwarts, just so there's no confusion. I can't really see them doing Shakespeare at Hogwarts, so yeah.

It had been a week since Hermione had auditioned for the school production of "Romeo and Juliet" and the cast list was finally up.

Hermione dragged Harry and Ron over to the piece of paper on the hall door to see that her name was written next to Juliet.

"Oh my God! I'm Juliet!" she squealed. Ron burst out laughing. "What's so funny?" she frowned.

"Have you seen who's Romeo?" chuckled Ron.

"No, who?"

"Malfoy."

"Malfoy!"

"What do you want, Granger?" came the cold voice.

"Uh, have you seen the cast list? You're Romeo and I'm Juliet. Oh, look at the time! Must dash! Come on, boys!" she gushed, grabbing Harry and Ron and running off. The pair of them were in stitches.

"It's not funny!" she cried. She heaved a sigh when they still didn't stop. "Look, I got the lead female role, so I'm extremely happy and I don't need you two raining on my parade!"

They both mumbled apologies and Hermione started laughing.

"Come on," she said, "We're gonna be late for physics."

~*~

The first rehearsal was the next week and Hermione was dreading it, as she knew what was in store.

"Welcome all to our first rehearsal." smiled Professor McGonagall when everyone, including Draco, had arrived. "We're going to be rehearsing the first scene today, but, Hermione and Draco, as I'm sure you're aware, you two are going to have to kiss in the play and I'm sure you would prefer to do it for the first time in private, so why don't you two go backstage and, you know, get it over with?"

Hermione and Draco both got up obediently and awkwardly shuffled backstage.

"Okay, let's make this very clear." said Hermione, "This is not us kissing, this is our characters kissing."

"Yes, it's purely professional." Draco added.

"Okay, let's do this. Are you ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be."

They stepped closer and Draco cupped her face in his hands. He began to lean down towards her and Hermione desperately wanted to pull away, but if Draco wasn't going to make a fuss about it, neither was she. Instead, she stood on her tiptoes and closed the gap between their lips.

Draco's lips were surprisingly cold against her own, but they were incredibly soft; softer than she was expecting.

When they broke apart, they just looked at each other.

Hermione was in complete shock, mainly because, well, she enjoyed it. She really enjoyed it.

The two of them were still staring at each other when Draco said "I think we should try that again."

"Me too." obliged Hermione and they threw themselves at each other with such force that they almost knocked each other over.

This kiss was far more passionate than the first; their bodies were pressed up against each other and their mouths moved in a perfect rhythm. Hermione had her arms draped over Draco's shoulders whilst he had his arms wrapped firmly around her small waist.

They stopped abruptly when Ginny walked in. She froze when she saw them and they jumped apart.

"We were just practicing!" Hermione said, panicking. Ginny wasn't going to shut up about this for weeks.

"Well, you must be extremely good actors then because it looked very real to me." she said.

"That's why we were chosen for the roles!" Draco laughed nervously.

"Mm hm. You're wanted onstage." Ginny told them, failing to hide a smirk. Then she disappeared back onstage.

Hermione and Draco turned to each other and smiled.

"I don't think that last kiss was entirely professional." he said.

"Me either." she replied.

"We should be unprofessional more often." he smiled, before walking onto the stage.

Hermione had to calm herself before following him.