Chapter 21: Why Was I So Special?

Start from the beginning

The voice in my head screamed to run away but something else told me to say. "Five minutes," I repeated firmly then sat down at my table still holding the cue in my hand, ready to use it if needed.

He sat down across the table from me and smiled lightly, as if that would make things better. "I'm glad you got my note. That was my favorite photo of us."

I didn't say anything, I just looked at him with hatred and disgust. I thought I could do this but now in the moment, all I wanted to do was run. Memories of Florida came running back to me. He was going to let Fabien kill me. How could he just come back and talk about old times? I knew that those old days were gone and they were never coming back.

He frowned again. "I know you're mad........ I don't know how to start," he said as he sighed while he looked down at the table.

"Why don't you start at the beginning? Did our relationship even exist? Or was it a cover from the start?" I begged, hurt that I even had to ask those questions.

He didn't look up at me, instead, he looked into the table as if he was going to find the answers in the wood grain. He finally sighed then said, "At first it was a cover. But as I got to know you, I liked you more. At the end I even loved you."

His words hurt like a knife to the chest. I shook my head. He couldn't just say that and expect me to be fine with that. I didn't want to put up with this, I was disgusted with him. He was telling me he loved me after he sold us to the devil? He didn't love me. If he did, he wouldn't have done the things he did.

"That morning you told me... everything. I didn't want to tell them. But they were listening to every word you said that morning."

I gritted my teeth together. If he really loved me, he would have warned me or put me above himself. I sat back down as I resisted the urge to punch him. "Fabien was going to kill me. You didn't think to tell me about the trap, at least to save Auggie?"

Toby frowned as if I didn't get something. "No Fabien wasn't going to kill either of you. He gave me his word."

I frowned back at Toby. It sounded like he followed Fabien around like a sheep. I couldn't believe that he trusted him so much. I shook my head. "Did you start off with MIA or CIA?"

"CIA for a month then they picked me up."

"Why was I the cover? Hu? Why wasn't some other girl? Why was I so special?"

He put his hands on the table as if wanting to hold mine, but I pulled back. "I know you didn't ask for this, but your family, they have some kind of connection with MIA that I don't understand. My job was to see if you knew anything."

I frowned at him. My family had no special connection with MIA, my grandmother didn't even believe me when I brought it up. "My family's dead. Remember?"

He looked at the table again and mumbled something inaudible. "Annalise. They won't stop hunting you down. Stop what you're doing. I still care for you. I don't want you to get hurt."

His words were just lies, I was convinced of that, after all, I did stop and they were still coming after me. I shook my head at him. "You know what? Some guys broke into my house yesterday, took my laptop. But they won't there for that, they wanted me. One of them broke some of my ribs," I fired off. "I have a feeling that I can't get out of the mess I'm already in so easily."

"What?! I told..." he trailed off.

I looked him in the eyes, wanting to read them. I hated him. I wanted him to see that. "What Toby? What did you tell them? News flash, they're all spies and they're all liars. Don't rest your life in their hands," I said as I got a bit teary eyed.