Chapter 12

It's a phone conversation. Bold is Zayn, Simple is Zel.

It was 10:30 and I was still sitting and staring at my phone. Sighing I hit call.

The sudden ring of the landline makes me almost drop my book and I jump startled.

" You scared the shit out of me." I hear the reply and chuckle.

I hear a chuckle and instantly recognize the voice and mentally face palm.

" Hi to you too Miss Winters. " I say and hear her sigh.

" Hey Mister Malik. How do you do ? " Really Zel. Really. How do you fucking do?

" I am fine. How's life treating you Miss Winters? " I reply in a formal tone.

We are not really on good terms these days, I wanted to say. " Good, I guess." I reply shrugging.

I didn't know if it was just me or she didn't sound like life was good. " Alright. So what were ya doing ? " I ask.

I hear carefully and realize he does sound like Zayn Malik. But I could be wrong too. " Reading a novel , Mister Malik . Diary of Anne Frank. " I reply.

" I have not read the book but the movie was good." I reply making a mental note to grab a copy of the book.

" Ahan. Well I have not seen the movie. So what are you doing Mister Malik ? " I ask making a mental note to checkout the movie.

" Talking to you." I reply.

I smile shaking my head.

She doesn't say anything so I change the subject. " So Miss Winters, what do you do? If you don't mind me asking. "

I smile at his nervous tone. " Of course not . I am a student at UCL Institute of Archaeology. I am taking a course in classical civilisation and archaeology. " I reply.

I could hear the love for what she was studying in the way she spoke about it. " That's cool ."
I reply honestly.

" And what about you Mister Malik ? What do you do ? " I ask failing to keep the curiosity out of my voice.

Shit. What should I say now?
" Ummm... I am a.. umm I am a dj.." I reply . At least it wasn't a complete lie.

All I could think was Dj Malik. All day. All night. " Uh-huh. That's so cool. Where do you play? "

" Yeah. I play in many clubs around London."

" Must be a fun job." I reply. I don't know why but I really wanted to laugh. I was sure that he was Zayn Malik and I was really enjoying putting him on spot.

" Yeah. It is."

" So where are you from London? Umm. I shouldn't ask that. I mean we just started talking. Why would you tell me that? You probably think I am a stalker or som- "

" I am from Wiltshire, Mister Malik. " I reply cutting off his rambling. It's not like I was giving him my address. Wiltshire was a huge place, even if he was a stalker which I think he wasn't, he will never be able to find me.

Wiltshire. Hmmmm. I have heard about the place. " I have heard about. Never been there though. I am from around central London ." I reply truthfully.

I nod my head, " Okay. " There was an awkward silence because there was nothing to talk .

" What does your name mean? I was just wondering." I ask filling in the silence.

" Renée? Ummm it's a french name means Rebirth." I reply.

" Get to bed Zayn." I hear Liam's sleepy voice and look at the time. It was just 11.

I yawn feeling sleepy . " Ummm Mister Malik, I hope you don't mind I think I should go. I am really tired so I guess I will sleep."

I hear her and agree hesitantly.
" Sure. Goodnight Renee."

" Goodnight Mister Malik."