Chapter 6

i found that the picture on the side somewhere and I can't stop laughing.

Zayn

Later that night (12 Sep)

I couldn't sleep now as I had spent most of the day sleeping.

It was 11 now and I didn't know what to do so I pick up my phone. I think of calling her, but it's too late, she will go all Italian on me.

So I log into twitter, I hadn't really been active for the past few months. I search for funny videos and soon I am in tears from all the laughter I am keeping in.

I am about to close but a video catches my eye and I hit play.

There was this girl , she looked 19 or 20 with short hair braided into a bun, in a blue denim dress and she was running behind two boys who looked probably 25 or something with shoes in her hands. I stare amused as she hits the shoes right on their heads and then bows at the end. She had an adorable smile, I think.

I hit the retweet button.
She is so cute.
12:00 a.m

Zelmirah

Next Day ( 13 September, 15 )

I bolt up awake, my breathing erratic as I sigh recovering from the nightmare. It was the same thing , same scene from that night replaying like a cassette in my mind, again and again.

I rub my eyes, wiping away the tears , I squint at the clock,
6 a.m . Getting up from the bed, I try to find the lights and once I switch them on, I quickly shield my eyes from the brightness.

Once my eyes are adjusted to the light, I make my way to the bathroom, to freshen up and change into what could be considered as workout clothes - a tank with leggings and a pair of Nike shoes. I throw over a hoodie as well because let's be real, it's London we are talking about, it is always cold.

The woods beneath me creaks as I make my way through the house, pausing for a moment as I stare at the empty chairs in the kitchen. I shake my head as I open the gates , leaving them open as I knew Raelynn and Verra would be here soon. I had already left a note so they won't worry about me.

I decide to go along the roads heading into the town instead of going into the forest today . I wasn't the most athletic person around but I could run , I was just too lazy to do that . But mind you , running in the fresh air , early in the morning really helped if you want to clear your thoughts or just let off some steam . And I was doing both the things .

Growing up in the woods played a large part in making me the person I was today . I appreciated nature more ; I had grown up playing in the forest , going for treasure hunts , making tree houses with my father . Wiltshire , was a rural setting - so history and ancient architecture always fascinated me . Consequently my inclination towards the subject grew and here I am studying classical archaeology in one of the most reputed academies - UCL Institute of archaeology . I was now in my last year of the three year course , and I was just 19 .

How that happened ? Well , it wasn't the brightest of my moments . There was an open scholarship program held by the university at our school , I was 16 at that time , but it was basically for 17 year old and above. And I missed that exact information , there were forms with an attached Q&A, so I filled them all with my age that was 16 . When the forms went back to the university, they came across mine and I was summoned to the principal's office.

I wasn't really expecting them to accept me so when that happened everyone including me was left shocked , I had an open mouth too.

I am doing a B.A in classical archaeology and classical civilisation, it is a 3 year degree.
This programme is taught jointly by the Institute of Archaeology and the Department of Greek and Latin with a particular focus on Classical world and on the art and material culture of Greece and Rome. The first and a half year was hectic for me because I had to complete high school on the side too, once i was done with that I was part of a research team specially constituted to do field work in Rome . That's the reason I know Italian. It was a 8 member team, 5 students and a head professor with two junior teachers.

Due to all these reasons I was rarely home and this time I had come after almost an year. I had barely spent time with them
and ....

I shake my head again, Great job Zel, doing exactly what you are trying to avoid.

I stop and take a breath ,as I look around my eyes widen in surprise - I was going to cross the town if I hadn't stopped. That's too much running, I am going to need a crane or something to take me back home.

I decide to go to The Harrow as I didn't really feel like eating at home moreover it would be the only place open at 7 in the morning.

I walk inside and the bell rings making Esmee look up. I wave at her and she smiles back at me and cringes as she takes in my appearance and motions me to go to the washroom. Ever so subtle Ess. I laugh at her expression and go to the washroom, washing my face and hands.

" Morning Ess." I say as I walk out back. We were the only one as of now, she owned the place. Esmee was a 45 year old widow and she lived alone. I had known her since my childhood days and she was really sweet but sassy at the same time.

" Ah! If it isn't the little Einstein."

I chuckle at her nickname and sit at the at the chairs lined with the bar.

" Let go of that nickname, Ess." I say playfully as she hands over a coffee to me.

How she knew what I needed? Well, it wasn't the first time I had shown up at 7 in the morning covered in sweat.

" Never." She says and the stares at me , observing me. I knew I looked like a mess, I had barely eaten in the last few weeks and I barely slept. My eyes were red and swollen, bags forming underneath them.

" So when is the Savernake estate opening again?" She asks and I try to cover my surprise at her question, this was the last question I was expecting.

" Tomorrow , I guess."

Savernake even though privately owned remains available to the public for the entire year except one day but due to my parent's death it was going to open tomorrow after two weeks and that's the longest it had remained close in decades.

" Oh ! Little Einstein forgot to tell you. You have become quiet internet famous, you know? "

I look at her in confusion, " What do you mean? "

She looks surprised, " You don't know? "

I shake my head, " Umm no."

Before she can say something, the door opens and in come a load of costumers.

She gives me an apologetic smile but I reassure her and leave with one thought on my mind.

I had become internet famous, but how?