Chapter 2

"Nect!"

Nectarios moved a hand through his light brown hair, before turning to his friend approaching.

"Hey, Myles"

"Were you going to call me or not?"

"Yes, I would, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around, that's all"

"The Council gave their answer, huh?"

"Answer? More like an order"

He could almost feel his headache returning just thinking about that meeting. He spent FOUR hours listening to them, so in the end they gave him the name of his soon-to-be bride and told him to speed off and go get her. They could have said that in ten minutes...

"Sometimes, I think I would be capable of killing my brother for making me go through this"

"Well, too bad he's already dead. Otherwise, I'm sure he would be kicking your grumbling butt out of his throne, saying you complain too much and can't do nothing right"

"I wish for nothing more"

He had an older brother, the rightful heir to their father. The educated son. The trained one. Smooth. Patient. Focused. Hell, the TAMED one. When it became clear he was not fit to train in his brother's shadow and shape himself to be one of those slippery snakes like his brother or the Council, he left with the army. He trained as a warrior, forged new brotherhoods, went to war, won. Lost friends, made new ones, faced enemies, allies, met women. He was free and had nothing to loose, and yet, he had a reason to wake up every day. While he was out, a plague inserted itself in the city, arriving the castle in no time, killing his brother. The news of his brother's death didn't upset him. Barely even registered in the back of his mind. Until someone reminded him that now HE was the king, being the spare to the heir.

The days after that were hell. Had to leave the army, met the Council. True enough, most of its members he knew from his father's time were replaced by the new ones. Yet, he hated all of them. Disingenuous, with their fake smiles and concern, and that annoying inability of giving an straight answer or making a decision. He was raised in the army, he's used to split-second decisions, not to drag a subject for months. He was a man of action, and it took every ounce of his control not to take any action like behead all of those disgustingly cold serpents.

The only thing that helped his sanity was when four of his closest friends left the army and demanded a chair in the Council. Its originals members were not thrilled with that, but for once, their inability to say something straight-forward was useful. True, having his friends helped, yet he still struggled to find motivation to leave his bed every morning.

"Where are we going?"

Myles' voice brought him back from dreamland and he answered his friend.

"Pandores"

"That's... what? A six days flight?"

"With a tailwind, yes. Otherwise, it can be up to ten days"

"So, are we going to fly there? And to get back? What's the girl? Is she one of us?"

"She's royal, so in a way, yes, she's one of us. But I have no idea if she can fly"

"When are we leaving?"

"Tomorrow, when Selma start to light up the sky, but before Salvio dawn completely. I want to have at least three hours of flying without feeling the hot sun in my back"

***

Nectarios was waiting on a large balcony, the highest of the castle, with its railing missing. It was still dark, he could see the stars and the two moons. He knew it wasn't going to take too long before the sky changed to a light grey, announcing the first sun approach. He heard his brothers-in-arms entering the balcony, dressed like him, with light clothes, capable of protecting from cold weather, and yet comfortable to wear. All of it enchanted by the sorcerers to shrink during their transformation. Myles, Ormerod, Arden, Kachi and himself were all carrying weapons, just in case. You never know what might happen in a long travel.

"Everyone ready?"

Ormerod answered rubbing his hands together.

"It's chilly today. Let's fly so I can warm up my muscles"

With a nod to his friends, he turned and ran to the end of the balcony. He jumped and felt the cold wind on his face. He could hear his friends right behind him, so closed his eyes and focused. He felt the sudden heat washing his body. He welcomed the fire he felt in every muscle, bone, inch of skin or strand of hair. When he felt the transformation was complete, he opened his wings, the impact against the wind almost snaping his humerus from his back. He stretched and felt the air passing over and under every feather. He opened his eyes, and for the thousandth time, marveled at how precise his vision got when transformed in a golden eagle. Looking to his right, he could see Myles as a bald eagle, and beyond him, Arden as condor. To his left, both Ormerod and Kachi were hawks. Red-tailed and ferruginous, in that order. They settled in fly formation and got ready to exhausting days ahead. Until they reached their destination, they wouldn't turn back to humans. They would fly, hunt, eat, drink and sleep as birds of prey, it's easier. Turn back to human after a whole day flying was tiring, and got even worse at trying to turn back to animal. the angled their tail feathers and speeding up, they flew to West.