Chapter 1

The fox was trotting through the forest, its paws making no sound even when stepping over dry leaves. The small rabbit on its mouth dangling, with the light brown fur stained with blood. The fox kept moving, using the shadows of dark green to conceal its copper tone, with some help from mud and dirt, that made its smooth coat a little less showy.

Keeping an eye for a prey thief, such as a hawk or a lonely wolf, it continued to move along the trees, until reaching a small cottage. The fox tilted its head and use it to open a wooden door, addle from termites' work and covered with moss.

There was a man inside it, hanging a deer to a hook on the ceiling with its rear legs tied together. The man was with his back turned to the fox, and grabbed a hunting knife from his belt. The fox could smell the blood when the man used that knife to gut the deer, taking its bowels and keeping it aside for the time being. He made some precise cuts, before holding the end on the deer's fur near its hindpaws and pulling, taking fur, skin and more all in one go, helping with the knife when it was too attached. Without turning, the man chuckled, still taking the deer's skin.

"Really? A rabbit? I get it, you're a fox, just... I expected a not so small rabbit"

A man around 50 years old, with messy red hair, without being washed in days and being cut in months, dressed in shabby clothes, that ressambled the hunter's clothes they once were, covered in mud and dirty, just took the rabbit he dropped on the floor and moved it to a wooden counter, with stains of animals' blood that were gutted over years. His voice was hoarse when he spoke, like he haven't used it in some time.

"Yeah, I'm just one man, why kill something bigger than I need?"

"Maybe share with your friend?"

"For what I can see, you don't need someone to share their food with you"

The tall man with the light brown hair and mesmerizing cognac eyes shrugged nonchalantly. His clothing, despite having the style of a hunter's clothes, were clearly of a better quality, something the dirt couldn't conceal. He's stroked his strong jaw, with a stubble of three days, before answering.

"I just felt like eating deer tonight. Can I invite you to join me?"

"Don't bother. You couldn't make me go to that building not even with an squadron"

"I have an army"

"And I have a small cottage, thank you very much. I'm staying here"

"You know you don't need to hunt by yourself, right? How long did you take to catch this small rabbit? Two days?"

"Three. And I'm going to eat it. Alone. Now get out of my house"

"You know you have no right to talk to me like that"

"I have the right to do what I want. Now get out! Leave me here, in peace"

"You were our best spy"

"Yes, I WAS. Now I just want a peaceful life. Go bother someone else!"

While nagging, the older man was striding in front of the taller one, forcing him to back out, until he found himself just outside the hut. The red-haired man went inside and came back with the deer. He shoved the carcass on the other man's arms and closed his door.

With a shake of his head and a sigh, the man with cognac eyes just slung the deer over his shoulder and walked away from the cabin. When he reached the border of the forest, he paused to take a deep breath and glance at the building in front of him. A massive castle with large towers, a thick wall surrounding it. The city around the wall spread itself in all directions; colorful, hot, simmering with activity, with people from all the ages, sizes and shapes talking, fighting, gossiping, bargaining, begging, meeting. The mixed scent of food, gargabe, sweat, fresh fur, blood and meat, roting vegetables and fruits could be smelled just at the border of the forest.

He adjusted the carcass and resumed his walking, bordering the forest, until he could walk down the narrow road which leaded to the castle's gate, the closest to the kitchen. He saluted the guards with nod, when they bowed in respect and steped aside to let him pass. One of the smaller helpers came running to him, with her hair escaping from under the bonnet and her breath catching.

"Do you want me to take it? ... Sir. Lord. I mean, my Lord. I..."

"It's perfectly fine, I can take it to the kitchen myself. It's a little heavy and I'm already half-way there, anyway"

Not sure of the correct action, the young maid just nodded her head and walked behind her lord, just going ahead of him in the end, to open the door for him. The large kitchen was busy, like in anytime of the day. The twenty women that occupied the sultry room all had something to cook, cut, clean, wash, spice, dry, arrange. Two of them stoped what they're doing to clear some space in the large counter located in the center of the kitchen for the deer. The Cook approached her lord drying her hands in her apron and eyeing the carcass.

"When do you want it to be served, my Lord?"

"Luncheon, I have a meeting after it with the Council"

"It'll be done"

The man just nodded and left the kitchen, going to his room, where he knew a bath was ready, so he could wash the dirt and sweat off his skin. The Council contacted him early this morning, to announce they had found a 'perfect' match for his wife. He managed to delay the search for a wife for years, excusing himself to win the war with a neighbour from North-East. However, when the war ended, he could no longer avoid the Council. Dealing with them for years, he doubted the woman chosen by them, whoever she was, could be a 'perfect' match for him. He just hoped she could be a good wife, a good mother and didn't get in his way.