Chapter Seven: Blood Stained Promises

Start from the beginning

"What does that have to do with my baby?" The woman reached for her own flesh and blood, but the man swatted her hand away.

"Listen, you fool!" He spat. "My curse, however, doesn't prevent me from trading places, but only to a willing host."

"What are you saying?" The fearful woman asked.

"My offer, my freedom for the healing of you daughter and your children's safety." The man held out his hand for her to agree.

The woman turned away, but without hesitation said, "Deal."

***

Rayner wandered toward the back of the dark void, then he heard it, the faint screechy voice of the woman.

"Back so soon, my dear? Needing more gems?" She sounded kind, until she spoke again, leaping out of the shadows and inches from Rayners face. "I should tear you apart for entering my domain!"

Rayner's skin crawled, and his flame extinguished, as he tried to force courage into his words. "I want to make a deal. This food," He held up a bag containing one loaf of bread and two apples, "for two of your enchantable gems."

The cursed woman trailed his face with her over-grown, pitch black nails.

"Now tell me, my dear, why shouldn't I eat you instead?"

"Because...you...you can't," Rayner stuttered, half wondering if that really was a question, or a statement. 

"Argggg!!!" She hissed and clawed at her frizzy grey hair. "You're quite right, precious, sadly." Her voice hacked up the words like vomit. "Fine, but only if you let me see it again."

"See what?" Rayner questioned, eager to hear.

"The sun." The woman's eyes glazed, as if she was remembering to the last time she had seen that massive star.

"I can't show you the sun," Rayner quietly informed.

"Oh, but you can, my dear. You held the sun in your hands when you entered!" The woman pointed toward his arms.

She thinks my fire was the sun. He thought, gazing at where the flames used to glow.

"Deal." He smiled. "But-"

"But what? No buts!" She roared.

"Show me the gems first, I don't trust you," Rayner said.

"You know I'm tied by magic once I make a deal." The woman bark angrily.

Rayner didn't speak, but raised one eyebrow.

"Fine!" She hissed. The witch trudged toward the cave wall, held out her hand, and it began to glow. The wall turned from rock to sparkling gems: ruby, sapphire, emerald, diamond, and more. She clawed two out and bolted back to Rayner. The wall quickly faded back to stone.

"Thank you." Rayner took the shining orbs and dropped then into his satchel.    

       "Now you, my boy!" She demanded.

Rayner held out his palm and it erupted into a ball of fire.

The woman swooned at the sight. Rayner set down the bag of food and gently, slowing, and cautiously eased back toward the entrance. The woman followed his every step.

Finally the flames died and he began to leave.

"Wait!!!" She barked. "Bring it back!!!"

"A deal is and deal, I showed you, now I can leave." Rayner said.