Stay

CHAPTER 44: STAY

Mystic Falls High School

Having been his official guardians since Alaric died, along with a Damon who did not want to come, Natalie and Elena were the ones having to try to convince Principal Weber to let him graduate early, or even graduate at all. Natalie had suggested that they could just compel him, but Elena wanted to try it honestly first. 

The twins sat next to each other, with the principal on the other side of a table as Elena tried to act like the perfect little good girl she was in high school. "Principal Weber, I know that graduation isn't for a few months, but Jeremy just got accepted into this great art school."

Weber's eyes widened as he looked between the girls to check if they were serious. He couldn't think of any schools in their right minds willing to accept Jeremy. "Jeremy Gilbert? I don't think so, not with his academic record."

"What's wrong with it?" the doppelganger asked, frowning in confusion. She didn't even notice Natalie give her a look as if to ask if she was an idiot. Everybody knew that Jeremy sucked at school, and Alaric once told them that he had copied a paper straight of Wikipedia without trying to hide it. 

"You have a few hours?" the principal joked, but quickly coughing awkwardly as he saw the blank stares both the brunette girls gave him in return. "Alright, let's start with drug use in his freshman year."

"AKA the year his parents died," Natalie reminded him dryly, resting her chin her hands as she gave him a pointed look accompanied with a slight smirk. She never liked Principal Weber, and the feeling was mutual. 

"Okay," he took a deep breath, trying to be civil towards the girl that was one of his least favorite students in his whole career of working there. He was just happy that she was only there for two years, and not the ones before. "So what's the excuse for the next 3 years of woeful attendance?"

"Well, you know, extracurricular activities," she responded, hoping it would be a good enough answer. She would count avoiding getting killed (and sometimes even succeeding). But Weber didn't seem to think of that as a good enough answer as he raised his eyebrows at her, as if asking for elaboration. "Poor boy has been doing a lot of fitness, joining stuff like boxing and martial arts. Don't you remember how small and scrawny he used to be?"

If he wasn't trying to be a professional, he would have ended up rolling his eyes at the never-ending attitude Natalie always seemed determined to bring out. "No, but I do recall the 4 months where he faked his own death."

"Yeah, you know what's funny? He didn't even fake it," Natalie grinned, chuckles emitting from her lips as both Elena and Weber looked at her as if she was crazy, but for different reason. "Yeah, we were looking for a cure for vampirism, which was ironically when I turned into a vampire. And for some weird reason, some weird Greek bitch who hates me enough to have made me reincarnate twice decided to put it on an island off the coast of Canada, of all places. And, yeah, Elena's evil doppelganger, who's dated both our boyfriends at the same time, killed both him and me, but I came back first."

"Natalie!" the older twin scolded her, slapping her arm. Yeah, principal Weber would definitely take it as if she was drunk or high, but they didn't need anyone asking questions about weird things being said in Mystic Falls. 

Weber glared at the girl who was sitting there with a a smug expression on her face. "Is this some sort of joke to you?"

"Depends. Was it funny?" she retorted, making Elena groan in annoyance as she buried her face in her hands. Natalie turned to her with a teasing, questioning look to which she gave her one of annoyance.