Prayer For the Dying

CHAPTER 42: PRAYER FOR THE DYING

Whitmore Medical Center

There had been called in an emergency meeting at Whitmore, and Natalie had to go through the torture that was the two-hour drive. She missed going to high school, where all she had to do was take her car for five minutes before she had met up with everyone, usually at the boarding house. 

But this time, all she heard about was some guy named Colin that had cancer. Supposedly, Caroline had fed him her blood in hope of finding out if vampire blood could heal cancer. But then they found out that he had died afterwards. 

And so, Stefan, Damon, Elena, Jo and Natalie were standing in a room, watching some brains scans that Jo had gotten from Duke, where he supposedly was before. The scan had a small red dot, that was probably supposed to show the cancer. 

"I had Duke over Colin's medical records. This head scan is from earlier this week," Jo then grabbed another one, this one having more red than not on his brain. "This one was taken right here, ten minutes ago. See all that red?"

Natalie grimaced, feeling sorry for the guy. She didn't know how it would have to feel for him, but she knew that it had to hurt. "I know I am not my wonder-child, future doctor twin sister, but even I can see that he's screwed."

Stefan sent her a look, to which she responded with one that basically said she was uncomfortable so she didn't know what else to say. He shook his head with a sigh. "So the blood didn't heal him, it sped up his cancer and killed him."

Natalie leaned her head on his shoulder, and he just put his on top of hers again. Stefan was watching the scans nervously, because he knew that he wasn't the only cancer patient who had been fed vampire blod. 

Jo nodded, telling Stefan that he was correct. "So now, I have a stage 10 cancer patient. Which, by the way, doesn't exist. Who is beyond terminally ill and a vampire, meaning all of his emotions are heightened and he can't die."

While it was interesting to see the effects of vampire blood on cancer patients, Damon was wondering why they needed to be there. "Hey, no offense, but could someone tell me why I was called down here to listen to the story of Colin the Cancer Vamp?"

Liz walked into the room, finally not having to wear her hospital gown. Her daughter walked up right next to her, looking like she was on the verge of crying. "Because Caroline fed me her blood last night. So the same thing is gonna happen to me."

▹▹▹

Stefan had tried to get some more information from Jo as Natalie tried to get the both of them coffee, only to discover that the coffee machine was broken. She thought it was stupid, because there were few people who needed coffee more than the people stuck at Whitmore Medical Center. 

"When I asked for coffee, you could've just gotten some from the hospital," he smiled at her as he walked outside, where Natalie was now standing with two coffees from a hipster coffee shop at campus. 

"The coffee machine was broken," she shrugged, handing him the coffee, just how he liked it. She knew his coffee order by heart. She then glanced at the sign, signalizing that they were now outside of the hospital. "So, are there any news?"

His smile dropped at the reminder of why they were actually there. He tapped his fingers against his jean pocket nervously, because he knew that he could've stopped it. He could have stopped Caroline from giving Liz her blood. "No, not yet. It's a little outside of Jo's expertise."

The tall girl nodded, gnawing on the inside lip as she had an internal debate over whether or not to ask him about the thing that she had on her mind she since she found out. "Did you know? Did you know that Caroline was going to give Liz her blood?"