Chapter 10 - Doorbell, Part 1

When Nelly returned to the Toretto-house a week later, she found it empty. There was a note on the kitchen table, though, saying Dom and Mia had gone out shopping, since there'd be a barbecue tonight and that Nelly should ignore the living room, Mia would sort that out later. Curious, Nelly promptly opened the door and stuck her head into said room: it was a hell of a mess - it seemed Mia had been sorting through photos and old things in general. Nelly had no idea where they'd been stowed before being spread all over the living-room floor - she'd never seen any of it before. Nelly pulled the door shut and unpacked her bag, put on a load of washing and called her parents. When she had done everything she'd wanted to do and the Torettos still weren't back, Nelly hesitantly returned to the clutter in the living-room.

The photos interested her most: Dom and Letty - they were everywhere. Nelly took pile after pile, looking them through and then putting them neatly back. Not that she was scared Mia would notice - she was sure Mia wouldn't mind - but not to destroy some order her friend might have put them in. After a while, Nelly felt she wasn't alone. When turning slowly, Dom was leaning on the side of the doorframe. Not quite knowing what to say, Nelly simply held out a pile of photos for him to take. "Do you want to look at some? - Looks like you had some pretty good times," she said, hardly able to keep the longing from her voice. He took them and ruffled through them. Then he sighed. "It wasn't as perfect as it seemed to be from the outside," he finally began and Nelly knew he was talking about him and Letty. She tried to hide the curiosity from her face. - "She was so hard to be around sometimes. Like when she went to some of the smaller races where all the scum's racing, and without telling me first. She'd just leave a note on the table; there was nothing I could do. I hated when she went there - that's the only reason she went at all." - Nelly frowned - that seemed a cruel thing for Letty to do. To put herself in danger just to vex or annoy Dom. Why would she do that? Dom sighed. "I meant to come back for her one day - but now I'm looking back I think what she did was just right. It's actually better that way." - Nelly was surprised because he sounded as if he really meant what he said. He didn't sound heartbroken, at least. "Well... if you're both okay with it... and sort of fine, you know... it was probably... good, like... the right thing to do." She nodded in an attempt to override her slight joy. Perhaps "slight" was an understatement, but anyway.

"Where's Mia?" Nelly changed topic, rising to help with the shopping bags that must be somewhere. - "She's got the car and the groceries, I got out in a side-street - we had the feeling a car was following us. Might be the police is tailing her. I walked here; she's just getting rid of them. Won't be long now." - At this very second, they heard a car pull up outside and Dom grinned smugly. Nelly laughed and shook his head at him. She pushed past him to help Mia with the bags.

When the others arrived for the barbecue, Nelly realised she recognised all the faces and even knew some names. Nelly saw Dom and Mia exchanging angry glances when - to Nelly's surprise - Tanner turned up. "I invited him," Mia whispered with emphasis. Dom frowned even more at that. "He's got your number?" - Nelly decided to help her friends - both Tanner and Mia - so she pointed to the barbecue outside. "Dom, I think the barbecue's hot. Are you coming outside?" She said with an innocent smile, hoping he bought it. Nelly kinda liked the thought of Mia and Tanner and she had welcomed him heartily. Dom stared at Nelly for a long while, then he finally gave in and went outside to see to the food. Mia turned and mouthed a thank you at Nelly. Nelly just grinned back. Mia'd earned a fresh start after the whole Brian-business. Dom's friends had started to recognise her as well, and now and then Nelly would stop and chat to them. Otherwise, she kept herself busy with taking the food outside and laying the table.

Suddenly, her phone buzzed: Betty had written a text telling Nelly she'd forgotten her favourite top. Nelly sighed slightly annoyed. Since she was standing next to the barbecue, her phone in one hand, a plate with grilled steaks in the other, Dom was bound to notice. "What's happened?" he asked. Nelly shook her head at her own stupidity and laughed dryly. "I forgot something at my sister's. But she said she'd bring it over in the next few days."

The barbecue was perfect, the movie afterwards was better - Mia had managed to tidy the living room before the friends arrived. For one, the movie wasn't only about cars, but a "normal" action movie. And then, Nelly happened to sit next to Dom. Since the couch wasn't big enough to hold all of them and Dom and Nelly had entered last - just before Mia and Tanner - they'd sat on the floor, leaning with their backs on some cushions they'd put between the couch and an armchair. Their bare arms were touching, Dom had his hands resting on his knees. But after a while he stretched out his legs and let his hands fall down, one dropping onto Nelly's thigh. A wave of heat rushed through Nelly and she felt Dom freeze for a split-second - but when Nelly didn't complain or shifted so his hand would slide off, he just left it where it was. With hardly noticeable movements, Nelly edged closer to Dom and snuggled to his side. He smelled good, like aftershave and barbecue smoke and engine grease, probably. Nelly didn't quite know what engine grease smelled like, but if it was that smell she thought it was it would now forever remind her of Dom. Sitting with him like that and feeling his hot touch on her leg, Nelly started to feel slightly drowsy.

The doorbell brought Nelly's mind back to reality. She exchanged a confused look with Dom before she jumped up. "I guess it's Betty," she whispered. "She's probably getting a take-away and thought she might just as well bring my top over now. I'll be back in a sec." She smiled and left the room to open the door. She'd already planned how to quickly thank Betty, give her a hug and return to the others, when she opened the door - and found herself face-to-face with Brian the cop.

"You!" - He lifted his shoulders with a crooked smile. "Me." - Nelly tried to slam the door shut to his face, but he put a foot in it. "Come on, I know it's late, but at least let me talk." - "You want to arrest Dom, that's why you're here, isn't it?" Nelly shouted as loudly as she dared without rousing the others. "What you said to me last week, was it a warning that you'd be coming?" Nelly had one hand on the handle, the other was gripping the door-frame. - "Let me come in, please," Brian begged. Nelly looked daggers at him. "I can't see a warrant in your hand, officer. You'll have to knock me down to get past me. And that would mean breaking a law. I'll sue you." - At that, Brian blinked, taken aback. "What the hell did they tell you I did? - I'm no monster." - Nelly's muscles relaxed a bit, but she never moved. "I know. But you can't get in. You said you're a friend, but now you're here - you're the police, Brian." - "Yeah, and I could sue you for holding up police work," he said with the hint of a smile. Nelly frowned. Could he? "The hell you will. I'm not holding up anything. You don't have a warrant." Nelly's brain was empty; she just hoped what she had just made up was true. Nelly wished she could think of a way to warn Dom; he had to get out of here. Brian sighed. "Please. Get Dom at least." - Nelly cocked her head. "He's not here." - "I don't believe you." - "You'll have to." - Finally, the officer seemed to lose it: he hit the facade with the palm of his hand in frustration. Then he pointed towards the barbecue in the yard: it was still hot. "There was a barbecue, I know him, I know he's here! I let him go, I'm their friend!" - "Then why are you here?!" Nelly hissed back. "You told me last week you kept away from them because if you ever met Dom, you'd have to arrest him! - And now you're here?! What game is this?" - "Look, it's complicated..." - "Yeah, I guess it always is. Not your life only, though. You can't come in." Nelly slammed the door, turned around - and found herself facing Dom.

*Sorry for the cliffhanger guys!! Hope you're still enjoying the story! Lots of love, Jazzlin*