Chapter 3

DISCLAIMER:

I (SADLY) DO NOT OWN STAR TREK OR ANYTHING RELATED TO STAR TREK, I ONLY OWN PEYTON AND HER FATHER.

+*+*+*+*+

After I Jim and I enrolled, and I found my new dorm, I took a deep breath and settled in. A girl with black curly hair and eyes a few shades darker than mine opened the door.

"Oh! Bon après-midi!" she smiled.

I sat up confused. "Um. What?"

"Vous parlez anglais?" She asked.

"I have no idea what you're saying." I told her.

She sighed. "My apologies." She said, her accent light. "Je m'appelle Valérie."

"Valerie?" I asked, just to be sure.

"Qui!" Valérie said. "It means healthy and strong."

"Nice." I said. "I'm Peyton."

"Enchantée." Valérie said.

"I assume that's a good thing?" I asked.

"Qui!" Valerie said.

"How old are you, Valérie?"

"I am sixteen," she replied.

"And you're attending the academy?" I asked with disbelief. "You must be a child prodigy! Where are you from in France?"

"I am from Paris."

"Oh, I've always wanted to go to Paris!" I sighed.

There was a knock at the door. I opened it to see Jim smiling goofily at me. He asked if I wanted to go out to eat. "We could go into the city, if you'd like," he told me.

"Um- Okay! Let me just get my..." I went to grab my jacket by the desk but Valérie had already gotten it for me. She shoved it into my arms and waved to me goodbye.

"Are you going to introduce me to your roommate?" Jim asked, eyeing Valérie.

Valérie awkwardly shifted under his gaze. "I-I..."

"Jim, this is Valérie. Valérie, this is Jim," I said.

"Well, Valérie, I must say you look lovely." He gave her his winning smile.

I sighed. Is he seriously going to hit on every girl he meets? I slapped his arm and glared at him.

"Ow! What was that for?" He turned and looked at me like I was crazy.

"She's sixteen, Jim!"

He sighed, "Alright, alright. It was nice meeting you, Valérie." He rubbed his shoulder as he held the door open for me. "Sixteen and in the academy? I'm impressed. She doesn't talk much, though." We took the turbolift down to the first floor.

"She's French."

"Oh! French? Foreign... Interesting."

"Jim! You thinking these thoughts about my underage roommate makes me uncomfortable!"

"I was just kidding, Pey," We left the academy, heading out into the city. "What do you want to eat? Italian? Subs? Vegetarian?" he asked, his face full of disgust thinking about himself eating vegetarian food. We walked down the streets looking for a restaurant that served food we both could eat.

A minute or two passed when the two of us found a pizzeria. We turned to each other with large grins on our faces and we immediately raced towards the pizza place.

I was fast, but Jim and his longer legs won the race. He punched his arms into the air and exclaimed his victory. Playfully, I shoved his shoulder and he rolled his eyes. Jim pulled the door open and followed me in. In line, we quickly agreed on what to eat-meat lover's pizza. We sat down at a glass table, our food not far behind. I stared at the fresh pizza longingly and dug in.