Chapter 2

DISCLAIMER:

I (SADLY) DO NOT OWN STAR TREK OR ANYTHING RELATED TO STAR TREK, I ONLY OWN PEYTON AND HER FATHER. (Possibly more in the future)

+*+*+*+*+

I was sleeping peacefully until I felt a soft touch on my nose. I crinkled my nose and relaxed into the soft pillow. Then I felt it again. I crinkled my nose once more, and rolled over to my side.

“It’s time to wake up, Peyton,” Jim whispered. His warm breath tickled my face, it smelled like fresh mint.

“No,” I groaned, “It’s too early.”

“Well I let you sleep in as long as I could. We have to be at the shipyard before eight, remember?”

I sighed, “What time is it?”

 “Seven.”

“Shit!” I jumped up and hit my forehead against Jim’s. “Ow…”

“Thanks, Pey. I needed that this morning,” Jim joked. “Now hurry up. I already picked up some clothes at your house and there’s cere-“

What?” I screamed.

“I’m sure you didn’t want to go there in my clothes so I stopped by your place- don’t worry your dad wasn’t there- and got you clothes for the day,” he reasoned.

I headed to the dresser and saw everything that I would need to wear- everything. “You could have just woke me up earlier,” I spat.

“Well you looked peaceful, and you know, I never saw you as the kind of person to own lace,” he winked at me and ducked as I chucked a pillow at his face.

Never mention this again.”

Jim replied with a chuckle and left the room. “There’s cereal on the table!” he called out.

I hopped in the shower real quick and dried myself up. The clock read 7:15. Looking up at my reflection in the mirror and brushed through my tame hair and got dressed. I looked back at my reflection and fixed my shirt. I wore a plain blue shirt and dark washed skinny jeans. I still couldn’t believe Jim went through my underwear drawer- I blushed at the thought. I wondered what he would have done if my dad was still home. Probably give him what he deserves, I thought. Slipping on my hoodie, I opened the bathroom door and nonchalantly walked to the kitchen.

Jim was already pouring me a bowl cereal. “You were slow,” he told me. “Now eat.” He slid the bowl across the table and I sat at the seat in front of it. I took the spoon and awkwardly ate the crunchy sugar-filled cereal. Jim took a seat across from me and leaned on his arms tiredly.

“How much sleep did you get last night, Jim?” I asked.

“Not much. I couldn’t sleep well,” he replied.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah. I’m fine. Don’t worry about it, Pey. Are you done?” he asked, pointing to the now empty bowl of colorful cereal.

“Yeah, I’m done.” I smiled weakly.

He quickly grabbed the bowl and left it in the sink. “My mom comes back home tomorrow, anyways. Come on, let’s go!” He quickly dropped the tired look and put on a new energetic façade. Jim grinned and dragged me out to his motorbike. “We have fifteen minutes and it’s a twenty five minute drive…” he glanced back at me. “I think we can make it.” He winked at me and the two of us sped down the road towards the Riverside Shipyard.

We got to the shipyard in about seven minutes and I was surprised that we hadn’t been stopped by the police. A construction worker complimented his bike as we came to a stop beside him. “Seven,” I panted, “Minutes.” I unwrapped my shaking arms from his torso and climbed off the motorbike. “You sir,” I pressed my finger against his chest, “Are insane.”

Jim laughed and took out the keys to the motorbike and gave it to the man. “You can have it,” he said. Then he turned back to me. He held back a smile as I scolded him. “Oh come on, Pey! You know it was fun!”

Fun? I’ve had plenty of near-death experiences, but that one! That one was just-“

He cut me off, dragging my trembling body towards the shuttle. “You talk a lot when you’re upset, you know that? And you can tell me about those other near-death experiences later,” he added. We approached the man who recruited Jim. “Three years, huh? I’ll do it in three,” he said smartly. “And I brought a friend, hope you don’t mind.” He helped me onto the vessel and he hit his head on a bar of metal.

I laughed, “Today isn’t your head’s lucky day, is it, Jim?”

“Today isn’t your head’s lucky day, is it, Jim?” he mocked in a higher voice. “The first time was your fault, and not everyone can be so short. What are you? 5’1?”

“I’m 5’4, thank you very much,” I declared.

Wow, three inches,” Jim laughed.

“Honey, three inches can make a big difference,” I smirked.

His face turned a light red and he took a seat across from Uhura, avoiding the looks coming from four other men. They must have been the ones he fought last night. I was about to take the seat next to Jim, but Uhura motioned me to sit with her.

“Why sit with the flirt? Come sit with me, sweetie,” she smiled.

I gratefully took the seat next to her and saw a hurt expression on Jim’s face. He quickly replaced it with a smirk and told Uhura, “I never did get that first name.”

She rolled her eyes and smiled.

I strapped myself in with little difficulty. Quite pleased with myself, I held a small smile on my face. One that Jim saw and a ghost of a smile appeared on his face as well. He was so adorable.

A rough looking man was being led out of the lavatory by a woman. He had dark hair, and some scruff on him. Probably had a hard night. The man was being forced by the small woman to sit next to Jim. As he buckled in, he leaned towards Jim and warned him, “I might throw up on ya.”

Displeased, I averted my gaze elsewhere and I could hear Uhura giggle next to me.

“I think these things are pretty safe,” Jim assured him.

But the man went on about the possible ways we could die. I shifted in my seat, I really wasn’t enjoying being near the guy. Uhura smiled at me softly and calmed me down. “We’ll be fine, don’t worry. My name’s Uhura.” She stuck out her hand for me to shake.

“I’m Peyton. Peyton Warren,” I replied shyly. My eyes scanned the shuttle, and I felt out of place. Everyone wore neat, red uniforms, and held themselves with a confidence that I could only wish to achieve.

The man still continued to talk, now about his recent divorce with his wife, and I slightly felt bad for the guy. He took a drink out of his flask and he shared it with Jim. They introduced themselves, the man’s name being Leonard McCoy, and I could feel the start of an odd sort of friendship.

+*+*+*+*+

Two chapters?? Holy shit, I'm on a roll! Hah! ^.^ I hope you all enjoyed

~Rosie