"With you in there, able to listen, copy files, check the books...we can nail the kid and save the old man's business," Danny offered as his closing line.

Jamie sighed, "Danny, I don't really do that kind of work anymore. It takes too much time away from the kids and Eddie..."

"Come on kid," Danny pleaded. "This is important stuff and you are perfect for the job. This guy is one of Dad's oldest friends and he's being bled by his own son."

Jamie sighed, "I have to discuss it with Eddie. I can't give you an answer before she and I talk about it."

"Jamie..." Danny sighed in frustration but Frank held up his hand. "That's fair enough Jamie, it's a commitment and it's dangerous."

"Eddie and I just had this huge talk about being a team and making sure we talk about things and don't keep secrets. I don't want to go back on that word."

Danny loved his wife very much, but when it came to the job he did not stop and discuss things with her. If he was asked to do something, he did it. The concept of his little brother wanting to discuss this assignment with his wife was foreign to him.

"Dinner's ready," Linda called into the living room. "Kids, dinner, go wash your hands." Sean helped Joey and Lila reach the sink and helped Lila get into her booster seat between Eddie and Frank. "Joey how about you saying grace?" Frank asked his grandson. "Show us how they taught you in CCD."

Joey blessed himself and bowed his head, "Bless us oh Lord for these gifts we are about to receive. Amen." Jamie laughed, "Almost buddy. You missed a little bit only, good job."

Frank passed the platter of chicken and the family started to fill their plates. Jamie discussed two of his most recent cases that had gone to trial with Erin and Danny. Eddie listened thinking how much she sometimes missed the streets, then she looked at her kids and remembered the moments were too precious to miss.

As was their tradition, the men and children cleaned up the meal while the ladies prepared dessert. Linda whispered something to Erin then took Eddie upstairs. "Take off your shirt, we'll get a look at that muscle."

Linda had Eddie lie down on the bed and felt the area she indicated as painful. As Linda palpated the shoulder, deltoid, underarm and breast, Eddie cried out twice. "Eddie, you really need to get this checked out by a doctor. How long have you had that?"

"Just a couple days," Eddie replied. "Since that day when we had lunch, after I worked out."

"When did you do your last self exam?"

Eddie thought, "Two months or so ago. Do you really think this is serious?"

"It could be...Let me get you on the schedule for a mammogram. If it isn't anything then fine, if it's something the sooner the better, Eddie."

Eddie looked up at Linda, "Would a tumor just show up like that?"

"Probably not that big that fast but it's better to be safe. What about Wednesday? I'm working I can walk you through it, be there for moral support."

Eddie nodded, "Thanks Linda. Please, not a word to Jamie. If it isn't anything I don't want him to get upset. He's so sensitive..."

"I know he is, so is Danny. I had a positive pap a few years back, a false one. Scared Danny to death, he called in sick for two days. It's between us until we know I promise."

Linda gave Eddie a hug, "We'll say that you have hurt the muscle and there is swelling that needs to be rested and iced. He'll be upset being kept out of the loop but he'll understand in the end I think."

Linda and Eddie joined the family again. "Are you all right?" Jamie asked as soon as he saw them. "Yeah, I really hurt myself that's all. Linda wants me to rest it for a few days until the swelling goes down. Ice and muscle cream."

"It hurts her when I rub the cream in," Jamie told his sister in law.

"Use a very gentle touch in a circular motion just around where it's protruding out and it won't hurt as much," Linda advised.

That night after the kids were in bed, Jamie followed Linda's advice. With infinite care he rubbed the cream into Eddie's arm and shoulder. "It does look smaller," he observed. "Does it still hurt?"

She nodded, "Yeah, after Linda was fooling around with it especially. I'm sorry I'm being such a baby about this."

Jamie laughed, "You're not being a baby at all. If I had this on my arm, I would be whining nonstop. You are the strongest woman I know, Edit Reagan."

She smiled at him, "When are you gonna talk to me?"

"Am I that easy to read?"

"No, but Danny is. He wants you to do something crazy and you want to talk about it first, so what is it?"

"Going under at this restaurant where there is suspected illegal gambling and possible drug trafficking. The punk son is running the place now, the original owner is a friend of my dad's. He came to my dad and asked him for help. Danny thinks I can slide in and fit as a new manager. It's all really perfect timing, they are hiring and I have the skill set..."

Eddie was already shaking her head. "Jamie, you and undercover just don't match. You get too involved and either get made or end up hating yourself because you couldn't save everyone. We agreed that you would stick to rapists and robbers on the surface. We agreed."

Jamie stood up and started to walk around their room, "I know we did, that's why I wanted to talk to you first. Let's just think about it okay. We have a few days, let's just think about it." He sat down again and held her in his arms. "I won't do this if you are against it, but let's not make any hasty decisions, okay?"

Eddie nodded, her eyes burning with unshed tears. Before she knew it she was crying in her husband's arms leaving Jamie with nothing to do but hold her close and wonder why.

In Chapter Five of Tough: The day of Eddie's test arrives. She and Jamie remember his last undercover assignment before reaching a decision about Danny's request. Danny senses Linda is keeping a secret.