o n e

-------------------------

o n e

-------------------------

I was five years old. My daddy is a firefighter! He saves people! My mommy is a stay at home mommy. She takes care of me...

"Daddy!" I ran up to him when he got home from work.

"Hey princess! Did you finish building your fortress yet?" My eyes brightened! "Yes! Yes! I did daddy! Come look!" Daddy laughed. "Ok pumpkin. I'll be there in a minute," I ran back to my room where my Lego fortress stood in the middle of my floor. I made a few adjustments on it and waited for daddy. Then I heard crying from the kitchen. I listened more closely. Daddy was talking to momma about what happened today at work and that something worse may happen.

"One of my comrades died today during a rescue job. I tried to save him, but I was too late. The flames were too large. I'm afraid that more of this may happen. Ever since the two largest buildings in the city collapsed, I don't know what to think,"

"It's ok Hun. All I wish is that you tried,"

I heard daddy pour some coffee. He always drank it after work. "So, how's the baby?" I heard daddy ask. "Oh, he's been fine. He was silent today," Daddy laughed. "Hey pumpkin! You ready?" I giggled. "Yes! Of course I am daddy!" I heard him walking up the stairs. Then he opened the door. "Oh wow! That's a big fortress!" I nodded. "Yes!" He sat down next to me. "Hey! You know what'll be really fun?" I nodded no. "If I...tickle you like this!!" I giggled and giggled. Then I got him to play with me, with my fortress. When it was time for bed, he stood up. He started to walk to the door when he turned and smiled. "And remember, always give it a hundred and ten percent!" I smiled. "Yes! Good night, daddy!" He turned out the light. "Good night Rogue, dear," Then he closed the door.

2 years later...

"Rogue! Hurry! Come quick!" I jumped up and smelled something burning. I ran downstairs and saw momma swinging a towel over the stove. It had gray smoke coming out of it. "Get out of the house now! I'll be there in a minute!" I ran to the door as she was at the telephone. She looked terrified as she talked on it. She then grabbed my baby brother and was out of the house. "Come Rogue, in the car,"

I heard sirens, louder and closer. Lights were flashing everywhere. 'Momma? Where's daddy?" She got out of the car. "I don't know dear. Watch your brother," She hurried off. I watched her till I couldn't see her anymore through the smoke and people. A huge noise, like an explosion, rose over the house. Flames and sparks were everywhere. People shooting water at it were screaming and others were running around. I began to cry. "Where's daddy?" I held my baby brother and watched him sleep. The longer I waited, that many more explosions happened. Then I saw an ambulance appear through the smoke and someone was being pushed inside. Several people around were crying and weeping. A few minutes pass and the fires calm down. Then I finally see momma. She's in tears and looks like she doesn't want to tell me something. I get out of the car and run over to her while holding my baby brother. I look over at the ambulance and see who's inside.

Daddy? Is that daddy? Then momma realizes what I'm looking at and scoops me up with my brother.

"No!" I hid my face in my mother's shoulder and cried with her. It was dark, and when I saw the ambulance start to leave, I tried to get out of my mother's arms but she wouldn't let me go.

"DADDY!!!"

I screamed as loud as I could, calling after the ambulance disappearing into the night.

2 days later...

I looked at my daddy in the bed at the sanatorium. He looked pale, lifeless. My momma was holding my brother over in the chair by him. We haven't been there that long and I've been watching the meter above him beep...slower and slower. I've seen him smile once he saw my baby brother. He looked at me a lot and smiled too. I walked closer and he put his cold hand on my cheek and I grabbed it. Momma made room for me to stand by him too.

"You are daddy's little girl, right?" His voice was soft...and weak. I smiled and nodded. "Be strong for me, ok?" I nodded once more. I felt his strength start to disappear from the grip he had on my hand. A few tears started falling and when I looked at my momma, she was crying some too. "I love you, daddy," He smiled at me once more. Then his smile faded...his hand fell limp...and his eyes never opened again.

-------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2010-2015 by qstarfire.

All rights reserved.

-------------------------------------------------------