Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"Get away from me you filth!" Eva screamed, swinging her scythe wildly around her.

"Daiiiiiiii. Tii aliben," a human, one of three, 'spoke' something. Half of it was unintelligible and the other was because this wasn't her language.

It drooled. Eva didn't want to let her imagination overrun as the part of the old perverted man had been fulfilled. At least in the looks department.  Seriously . . .at least shave your pits once in awhile. They had to have some sort of sharp thing to shave with, right?

She held her hands up and took a step back. With two hands she started rotating the scythe, allowing it to gain momentum, and with a quick slash the scythe had cleanly cut the man in two. Nothing right? Right.

A flicker of hunger showed on one's eyes after his beloved food was cut in half. It was all too quick to drop on its knees and start greedily eating the heart, which was barely beating, but beating still.

"Infra dig," she spat. She turned her back on them and started walking.

Too soon. Too soon she let her guard down. Yes, there was now food for the cannibals but she forgot the most important thing. One female woman wouldn't be able to sustain them all, and she was too much trouble to fight over so it would be easier to just kill her, meaning more food for all of them. Blood spilled from her arm and she tensed, biting the inside of her cheek. Too tired, too many. Another one drove a rusty dagger through her leg, close to the knee. It went in at an angle so the cut wasn't that deep.

"Screw you all," she hissed.

Blurry vision combined with aching muscle pain and a headache really isn't the ideal when fighting. In an attempt to fend them off she steadied her muscles, making her whole body rigid. It was either her or them: she wasn't going to let it be her.

"Aliben."

"Aliben!"

"Alibennnnn."

All across her a chorus of voices erupted. One of them tripped towards her, dried blood smeared all across his face. Looking the least puppet like in terms of succumbing to barbarian instinct. Others obeyed him but pointed their hostility at him. Eva gripped her scythe so hard, that her knuckles turned white.

Oh how thin the line is between civilisation and instinct.

She swung her scythe as soon as he was getting too close for her liking; which happened way too fast. He almost smirked when she dropped her weapon and howled in pain. It was then when he grabbed her arm, dragging Eva a bit closer to him, her arm protested.

Eva struggled, yelled, meekly punched and all in vain. Maybe he looked 16 but his strength was a cultivated tool and it was not something to underestimate.  He bit her shoulder, moaning in delight while she screeched in pain. It wasn't a deep bite but getting your flesh eaten, well, it was painful. Not to mention messy . . . it was very messy.

At the worst time she wondered how all those girls bore how vampires bit them. It couldn't just be because they were hot was it? Sparkles wasn't enough to ever get her to be bitten she decided once and for all. And if it was Eva decided they were all stupid.

"STOP!" A familiar language, her language Eva heard. A flood of relief engulfed her as the guy pulled his teeth out of her, licking her blood off his lips.

"Fann! Let's get going!"

"No! She's not one of them! She's like us!"

A girl's voice.

"There's a fire!"

"She's one of us," she repeated, and started throwing around her sword. Eva couldn't see what it was but it looked like a sword. Eva then felt two arms wrap around her and drag her to a nearby tree which she could sit and lean on.

The guy wielded his spear a bit clumsily but better than the others. The girl used brute force to cut legs and arms off. Instead of being aimed with hate and spite, the humans she cut down became instant food for others.

Assholes! She mentally  yelled, yet her body was unmoving.

"RUN!" the guy called out. The girl didn't dare question his decision. Grabbing her and slumping her on his back he ran for his life. Ah, now she could smell it, the burning trees and the crackling of a fire. She wondered how she didn't notice it earlier. Now she was exhausted, hence welcomed the blackness and the unmoving time of sleep.

~~~

Heavy eyelids were opened and Eva awoke from her nap. Paralyzed, her heart beat resounded in her ears louder than ever. Look around, calm and figure out your situation. Looking around, she noticed that ointment was applied to her wounds and they were carefully wrapped with waxy leaves. The ceiling was dark and it smelt like wet mud around her.

She saw the girl sitting, drawing figures in the dirt and the guy was leaning against a plant. Something to do with her ointment? Perhaps. And suspicious. Poisonous? Maybe. She tried grabbing her scythe realizing that air had taken its space. Did they want something? Or maybe it was poison, but that would defeat the purpose of carrying her here, going through the trouble of fighting the others. Hostage?

"Hellllllllllo," Eva jumped back a bit in surprise. The girl was way, way too close to her liking. "Hellllo? Can you understand me?" The girl repeated again, slower than the first time and sat down next to her.

"Yes, I can understand you. How and why can you apprehend the language of my country?" Eva asked, curious. She truly hated talking in that manner; however she decided that she should use it to address people who she didn't know.

"Country?" It was the male who spoke now. "We don't know what, or who that is. How is it you can speak our language? I thought we were the only clan who could speak it," he questioned, later putting his fingers to his chin and start mumbling something. Eva was now very confused, the mystery of why they could speak her language. She thought that they wouldn't even be speaking anything.

"It doesn't matter, I've achieved my purpose. I'm going back home."

Lies.

"Home? Could we come? By the way, my name is Fann," Fann asked.

"No," was the immediate answer. She didn't trust them; she seemed too nice to not want anything else. The guy seemed oddly sharp for a person living here. The others were stupid and they haven't even made a move to eat her. Not that she wanted to be eaten, but you know.

"Well see you," Fann waved good-bye and Eva left, walking out of the cave; she didn't think running was a good idea. "And here's you weapon."

All have to do is return home and make the antidote. Empra can then be saved. After clumsily catching the weapon the girl, with that thought in mind, broke into a light sprint, not giving a thought to the others, the ones who saved her life. Not like she'd see them again anyway. Yeah. It's all good.

It wasn't a long time after she started jogging, maybe five minutes, but she felt like she was being watched. She started walking again. The forest was annoying in the fact that its roots were just that thick that she couldn't run long without becoming out of breath. The jog was a bad idea, so she reverted to walking.

~~~

"Do you think we'll see her again?" Fann asked aloud.

"Probably not," Loke answered. He was thinking of leaving Fann behind after they got out of the forest, which was pretty soon according to his guesses. Footpaths were becoming more frequent suggesting eaters came inside the forest, and for that reason, Loke made Fann go near the footpath. They managed to cross a tree trunk to the other side of the river. They pushed the tree into the river after so the fire wouldn't spread to the other side. That was the only reason he could afford to rest.

He couldn't wait to get out. He could live freely, on his own. He would make it on his own. He must.

"Shall we go? We've rested enough. We're probably near the entrance."

"Yup! I can't wait to see what else there is apart from trees and fern!"

Honestly, get out already.