H for Hartley Chapter 7

Quick shoutout to aaryag for commenting and fanning! :)

_____________________________________________________________________________

I returned home with my mind in a daze.

I walked into the kitchen and handed the food over to my aunt without a word, as she looked at me strangely. 

I went back to my room and locked the door. I just had to be alone for a second. 

I was nearly attacked out there! What if that man kidnapped me or something? He said he wasn't going to hurt me, but who said I could trust him? 

Something bad could have happened there. Something very VERY bad. I had read about this kind of thing before, but there is usually a hero to come save the damsel in distress. 

I had no one to save me. 

What if something horrible happened to me? No one would know about me and think I had gone missing, while I was waiting for someone to save me. 

I hadn't realised I had been pacing while juggling these thoughts. I sighed loudly and fell onto my bed flat on my back, still with my coat on. 

"Violet?" I heard my Aunt call, "Are you alright?" 

"Yes!" I replied quickly so she wouldn't find anything suspicious, "I'm just coming!" 

I took a second to breathe silently to myself, and slipped off my jacket before standing up to the door. 

I walked through to the kitchen with the blood pumping in my veins, and feeling myself sweat with anticipation. 

What would I say if Aunt Jenna asked if there was something wrong? How would I act to make sure she thought nothing happened? 

I entered the kitchen to see my aunt pouring some noodles into a pearl white china bowl, and my sweet and sour chicken was already out. 

I sat down at the table after I grabbed my plate and tucked in. Chinese was definitely one of my favourite things to eat. 

I quietly cut my chicken and stuck small pieces into my mouth sheepishly, keeping an eye on my aunt while she prepared her noodles. 

She came and sat down at the table while she used her chopsticks to stir them. "Is yours alright?" she asked me. 

I nodded quickly, and probably a little more desperately for her answer.

"Yeah it's fine. Like always." 

She stopped stirring her noddles and turned her body to face me.

"Are you ok Vi?" 

"Yeah I'm fine why wouldn't I be-" I lifted my head to look at her when I caught her staring at me seriously in the eye. 

"Are you sure? Is there something you're not telling me?" 

How had she found out so quickly? I swallowed nervously and put some egg fried rice into my mouth. 

"Violet-" 

"Ok I'll tell you alright!" I exclaimed, throwing my knife and fork on my plate, "I'm just a little freaked out after the last hand reading you gave me!" 

"Violet you know those aren't really serious-" 

"But this one was! Aunt Jenna!" I said desperately, "And the most scariest part is that you don't even remember telling me!" 

She looked at me full of worry and concern.

"What did I say to you Violet?" 

I blinked and pushed back the tears that were due to spill at any second. "You said...em..." I took a deep breath and swallowed. "You said that...I was going to die."