Chapter 12 - Taunting Waters

Start from the beginning

“If you want to run then run,” I turned to look at Blaze who I had decided was too quiet for his own good. If Charlie heard him approach then he didn’t bother about him. Obviously I was becoming too reliant on this old dog. “Going for a sprint will ease your tension.” I frowned at the fact that he knew that would work for me. I didn’t like it.

“I don’t want to run,” I lied as I looked away. “But you feel free to.” I heard a rumble that sounded suspiciously like a chuckle. He sat down a few meters from me. Charlie glanced up with one brown eye before falling back into his comatose state. Some guard dog he was. “What do you want, Blaze?” I asked warily. I and he hadn’t talked since our trip onto Aria’s land; I was happy leaving it that way.

“Nothing; am I not allowed to sit on my own territory?” I bit back my sarcastic reply and continued to stare ahead. The woods were calling me. “What’s that?” I looked down at my hands to find the stupid note book.

“Food diary apparently,” I said bitterly. “Though I still fail to see the point of it. I could write I had eaten twenty burgers in here and Chad would have to take my word for it.” Another rumble of laughter.

“He’ll check your weight moron.” I groaned at the obviousness of that. Apparently I'm supposed to be increasing in weight.

“I swear I have eaten too much to be legal,” I whined as I dropped my head onto my knees. “I'm not even hungry.” Just the thought of food was enough to make me want to hurl. I never thought I would hate something that used to be so precious to me. It wasn’t right.

“You should be,” I shuddered out of habit as I felt his gaze on my body. I knew to some extent that his stare was innocent, but that didn’t stop me from tensing up. “It’s not natural not to be.” I frowned as I ran a hand through Charlie’s fur.

“Tell yourself something enough and you start to believe it. Besides; I haven’t done anything.” He studied me for a moment longer.

“Still...” We lapsed into silence, both of us looking into the woods. I all but forgot he was there; only a small part of me listened for an attack as I yearned for freedom.

“Hey guys, what’s up?” To say that I and Blaze didn’t simultaneously groan would be a lie. It turns out that Collins voice was enough to make even Charlie give a sigh of annoyance. Over the past two weeks the boy had done nothing but irritate me. It’s fair to say no one was impressed by his presence.

“Piss of, Collin.” Blaze said, voicing my thoughts. Collin ignored him and took a seat in between us, not leaving enough space for me to feel safe. I though the instinct to move away.

“Was just going to ask if you guys wanted to go for a run,” He said as if that were a reasonable enough reason for him to be here. “So; any takers?” Blaze groaned but got up.

“I'm in,” He said. “But if you flank me again I swear there will be trouble.” I laughed quietly at the image of him and Collin fighting. Stupid males. “You coming Cassie?” He invited me as if I was his friend, and that offended me. When did I agree to this familiarity he was providing me with?

“I'm good,” I said coolly and went back to stroking Charlie. Blaze just shrugged his shoulders and turned away.

“Afraid we’ll beat you?” Collin mocked and a deep frown found its way to my forehead. I growled in annoyance but he just looked amused but my tiny outburst.

“Unnecessary changes tire you out.” I said as if talking to a three year old.

“Of course,” He said before muttering. “Chicken.” Just loud enough for me to head. I pushed down a burst of anger and looked at him calmly.