Chapter 2: The Dark Promise

[ 2 ]

I was assaulted by hunters.

And saved by one.

After getting over the initial shock, the panic rolls in. I run towards home as fast as I can, the sob in my throat nearly choking me. I have to tell someone – anyone. But I can't. I stop in my tracks. How will I tell my mother that I was hanging out with May?

I pause and consider my other option; telling May's mother. But then I realize that telling May's mother would only result in chaos and conflict, not to mention a bloody war. For one, I am not welcome in their town and May's mother, who has held a centuries old grudge against us, would only blame me.

She needs one spark...one excuse to start a generation long feud.

I clutch my head, not knowing what to do. I feel confused and indecisive. My friend could be dying right now. I need to tell someone strong, someone who I trust, someone who won't judge me, someone who knows about our friendship.

My breath catches in my throat. Why didn't I think of it before?

Adeline, my sister, can assist me.

Maybe...maybe with her help I can rescue May.

The trees split apart revealing the pride boundary. I enter tentatively at first but then run at full speed towards my home, on the edge of the forest. The least thing I expect is my mother eyeing me angrily, her nostrils flaring, in a stiff posture, waiting on the porch.

Crap, I think. What have I done this time?

A snort behind me makes me turn around and I am almost stunned by the sight of Victori Krypton and his lecher of a son, Levi, leering menacingly at me. The short cropped hair and the extravagant show of wealth is to show us down. To show his position as the head of our pride. Levi stands as stiff as his father. Once he was different. Once I believed he was my best friend. But it all changed when our initializing process began. He changed that day. He became an arrogant prick, looking down at us all even though I came second in ferocity and strength. It doesn't hurt to add that he thought we were all beneath him just because he was a prince and strongest vampire. That is, after his father. I can't help but feel a wave of anger and hurt as I look at him before composing my face into an expressionless mask.

Silence pursues before Victori Krypton decides to break the silence, his voice ugly, "Fraternizing with those flesh leeches, are we now Arlene?"

I narrow my eyes at him. Survival instinct tells me not to push him but I can't stop the angry words, "And if I am?"

A vein throbs in his temple and his snake like eyes turn a darker shade as he steps threateningly towards me, his gem encased staff raised, "There is no need to lie to me, you ungrateful swine. Your obnoxious behaviour has already thinned my patience but this cannot be tolerated. Do you know what you have done?"

He raises his staff higher and I back away from him, furious. My mother suddenly stands before me protectively, hissing at the Victori.

His son, Levi, places a hand on his father's shoulder to calm him down. The Victori shakes it off disconcertedly, glaring at mother than at me, "You know that this can lead to war between the two sides. Astria looks for reasons to start a war with us and when they realize that one amongst them, Astria's heir no less is missing from amongst them, who do you think they would blame? Us!"

Flecks of blood and spit flow from his mouth as he continues, "Not to mention that you disobeyed me and you showed the enemy our home!"

I try to protest against his false accusations but mother overrides me, snarling at Victori, "Don't you dare blame my daughter, Krypton. My daughter was not even within the vicinity of the pride. The law states that she cannot interact with a succubus within pride territory and she did not. Besides, it's not as if my daughter kidnapped that ridiculous girl, it was the hunters! In case if you are forgetting yourself, Krypton, my daughter's life was endangered aswell! She could have died! But what did your spy do? He left her on her own."