Chapter 8

Shadow stared at the paper in his hand with a huge amount of shock...
That blue idiot had done it...
He looked at the paper in his other hand and compared the two for any signs of fowl play, but it was very clear.
Sonic had actually managed to beat the top student in his class for the quarter.
He's checked it and checked it over and over again, but he's made no mistakes in his grading.
Sonic had done it.
And the most surprising thing was, not only did he beat Tail's score of a 94, he'd beaten him with a straight 100%.
Shadow was just shocked.
And the thing was, this test had been written response, so he could tell he hadn't cheated.
Shadow leaned back in his couch in wonder as he stared out the great sliding glass doors that lead to the patio of his apartment.
That Sonic was full of surprises.
"So where is this trip to again?"
It's a resort on the mountains sonic, it's almost like a camp, only with a hotel type of deal.
Sonic flung his bag over his shoulder as he looked around at the other kids waiting outside the school for the bus.
"I still don't get why we're going..."
"we're going because you need to start having some fun! It's just a break from all the work at school and stuff"
Sonic shrugged and leaned back against the wall behind him.
He DID need a break though...
"Okay everyone gather round." Shouted the familiar voice of Amy, and immediately everyone quieted down. Okay everyone, the buss driver just called and he'll be here in fifteen minutes, so we shall take this opportunity to get into your groups. Now, your partner has already been chosen for you based on name, so sorry to disappoint the people who thought this would be time for friends. You and your buddy are to stay together at all times during this trip. You will also be sharing rooms with your partner, so I suggest you all try to get along with your partner as much as you can. If you DO have a problem with your partner you may come to either me or," To Sonic's horror Amy grabbed Shadow, seemingly form out of nowhere "and Shadow here. If you are caught anywhere without a buddy, then you will be going home to your parents, and you can be suspended depending on how merciful we're feeling. Got it?"
Some people nodded and Sonic looked over at Knuckles and tails who had nothing to worry about. But sonic on the other hand had a feeling that Shadow was going to make him suffer every chance he got.
He tried to calculate who he'd be paired up with but his thoughts were interrupted as there was movement as the girls were told to stand away from the boys and Shadow began to call the names of the pairs, ordering them all into a line where they would stand with their partners.
Tails and Knuckles were paired up after a while and the two of them went to stand in line, waving to their blue friend, who was starting to feel a bit lonely.
He picked up his bag and went closer to the remaining others in the group.
He looked around until his name was called and was horrified at what Shadow said.
"Sonic, you're with me"
Sonic winced. Both at how Shadow had said it; like it was the most horrible prospect on earth, and because he should have known.
He put a hand on his forehead and almost groaned.
He could already tell this trip was about to go badly.
The bus arrived shortly and the girls got on first to sit on the right side, and the boys were sent to the left, sitting next to their partners.
As Sonic got into the window seat in the very front row on his side he wished that he hadn't agreed to go on this trip.
He pulled his knees up to his chin, curling into a more comfortable position, and stared pointedly out the window.
As Shadow was ignoring him, with his book out in front of him, Sonic wished he could sit in the back with Tails and Knuckles; or anybody else! They would at least talk to him...
Sonic eventually got bored with the window and after receiving a glare for asking for his backpack, he dug inside to find his I-pod, pleased that they were allowed on the trip.
He put on the humongous headphones and turned up his I-pod, blocking out everything around him with the tunes of ATTACK ATTACK! and A Day to Remember.
He would have started to hum, but he was afraid that this would invoke Shadow's wrath, seeing as the black hedgehog hated him already, and he was trying to read.
As Sonic listened to the song The People's Elbow by ATTACK ATTACK!, Sonic could figure out why his friends thought there was something wrong with him.
He grinned as he listened to the first few lines;
"Oh the blood, oh the blood, of the massacre~"
Sonic brought his knees back to his chin and started to pick at his shoes.
They needed a shine he noted as he flicked a small lump of dirt off the side.
He noted that the buckle of his right shoe was a bit loose and he set down his other foot as he reached for it. He bit his tongue he fixed it, and as he looked at his handiwork he felt something bump into the back of his head, and saw whatever it was fall on his lap.
It was a paper ball.
Sonic opened it up and read it.
'Having fun with Mr. Emo-pants up there?'
It was signed by Knuckles.
Sonic stifled a laugh and glanced at Shadow to make sure he hadn't seen.
He picked up a pencil from his backpack and wrote something down.
'Are you trying to get me killed you red idiot? And no, I'm not. : ('
He rolled up the paper ball and threw it at the red echidna's head, spitting his tongue at him when it hit home.
As the song got to the middle it was the chorus that got to him...
"I Always thought that you would be the one, but baby just give me a chance"
He gave a sigh and was staring out the window when he heard a disturbance next to him.
He glanced up and to his horror saw Shadow clenching his fist angrily, the vein in his temple popping horribly and the paper ball sitting on his lap.
Sonic tried not to laugh, and thanked God that he hadn't signed his name as Knuckles had.
He watched anxiously as shadow unrolled the paper ball and scanned it over, and in a cool display of power, the paper in his hand was suddenly burned as Shadow's hand glowed green.
He was pissed.
Somehow Sonic had been expecting it, but Shadow gave him a glare before turning back to his book.
'Thanks a lot red'
Sonic hadn't known he'd fallen asleep until he felt something painful collide with his head.
"Wake up idiot." Was Shadow's curt remark as he stood up and got off the bus.
Sonic looked around as he hopped off the bottom step and grinned.
Well the scenery was definitely nice, he thought as he rubbed his chin with his thumb and index finger.
He couldn't wait to go exploring. He walked over to the rest of the group and chatted excitedly with Tail's and Knuckles for a bit, until Shadow called the group to order; and he went to stand closer to his partner, holding the straps of his backpack to move it closer to his back so it'd be more comfortable.
As they walked up the trail to the boy's sleeping cabin, Sonic could barely contain his excitement and wonder at the place.
He'd traveled the world and seen its wonder, but there was no place like here!
He smiled to himself.
Maybe this trip wouldn't be as bad! The fresh mountain air was refreshing, and with the sun shining so brightly he couldn't help but feel optimistic.
Shadow looked over his shoulder at the rest of the group to make sure there were no stragglers, but as he attempted to count the number students something out the corner of his eye kept distracting him. He glanced up and realized that it was just Sonic moving his head as he looked around excitedly.
Shadow rolled his eyes; Sonic was such a child!
The way he was acting, if Shadow hadn't know for a fact he was 19 he would have asked him why a high school student was in the midst of a college level group.
But he did have to correct himself on that last part: if Sonic was able to pass a college level test with a 100% then maybe he wasn't as childish as Shadow thought.
Shadow blinked at himself as he shoved himself out of his ponderings; he was doing it again...
He winced.
Stupid idiot hedgehog!
Why did he have to be so distracting!
The group stopped at the bottom of the steps that led to the patio of the boy's cabin.
Tails had been right: this was less of a cabin and more like a hotel.
"Alright when I call your name come over here and receive the key to your room, after which you may leave to unpack or whatever until 11:30. I would suggest staying around the cabin, but knowing you ingrates, you all would probably not listen; so if you do choose to explore a bit, you had better be with your partner at all times, or else..."
He gave a particularly nasty sneer and left the group to wonder what the consequences would be: all their ideas were most unpleasant.
"Ooh~ this is nice!" Sonic exclaimed as he walked into the room he would be sharing with Shadow.
Because Shadow was a chaperone they got to sleep on the top floor in one of the more luxurious suites;
It had huge windows that looked over the mountain ranges and forest surrounding them on the wall opposite Sonic, and next to the windows was a small room that he could see was the bathroom, and next to this was a closet which had one bed next to it, after which came a small beside table that separated the other bed.
After the beds on the same side of the room was a TV area with a couch, a recliner and a coffee table all surrounding the widescreen that was on the wall near the door Sonic had just entered into, and then to his left side next to the window was a desk and chair with a lamp over it.
All in all it was a nice room.
Sonic went over to the bed closest to himself and set down his backpack before flopping on the bed and closing his eyes for a short rest.
Shadow took a deep breath as he put his hand on the doorknob to the room.
This would have happened of course:
He WOULD get stuck sleeping in the same room as the person he least wanted to.
It couldn't have been any other kid; it just had to be Sonic.
He growled softly.
'That boy had better keep his hands to himself' He thought icily.
Slowly he turned the knob, and to his surprise it didn't move.
He blinked at tried it again.
It still wouldn't budge.
He felt his eye twitch in annoyance as he recalled that Sonic was the one with the key.
He knocked on the door coolly, but there was no answer.
He gritted his teeth and knocked again a bit harder than last time...
Still no friggin' answer.
'DAMMIT OPEN THE GOSH DARNED DOOR YOU IDIOT!' He thought as he knocked again, but as he brought his hand down expecting to hit the door again, he froze it in mid air as it swung open, and he almost punched the blue hedgehog who answered in the face.
Sonic yawned, oblivious to the danger that had passed as Shadow blinked at him.
"Took you long enough, idiot" Shadow said grouchily as he walked in past Sonic.
"M' sorry, I was sleeping" Sonic explained as he rubbed and eyelid.
"What time is it?"
Shadow felt a weird tremor down his spine as he glanced over his shoulder at the blue hedgehog from where he sat on the other bed, as he realized just how adorable the scene was.
Shadow turned away before he answered, aware that his cheeks felt warmer than usual.
"About 10:20"
"Oh, I have time to sleep then?"
Sonic crawled back onto his bed, lying on his stomach, and was asleep almost immediately.
It took Shadow a large amount of will power to turn away.
"Okay class, settle down. For the rest of the day we have you all scheduled for free time so you can explore a bit more and find all the activities you might want to choose for tomorrow." Shadow told the class as they all sat on the large patio of the cabin.
As Shadow passed out everyone's passes, the students chattered excitedly, prepared for a week of fun and excitement!
"I want to go rock climbing!" Knuckles said.
"Then can we go on the zip line afterwards?" said Tails.
Sonic grinned at his two friends from where he sat across from them.
At least they would be having fun...
Sonic was shocked out of his thoughts as a figure sat down next to him and leaned on his shoulder, although Sonic had no idea who they were.
"Hey~ Cutie~" Said the slightly high, but obviously male voice of the white badger that was leaning on his shoulder.
"Eh wah?" Sonic said confusedly as he tried to lean away from the badger.
"I'm sorry to be forward, but I saw you from over there, and HAD to come over~"
Sonic felt his face flush and he glared angrily over to where Knuckles and Tails were giggling in amusement.
'STOP LAUGHING AND HELP ME YOU JERKS! ~' He yelled mentally.
Sonic tried to scoot away from the badger, but he simply kept getting closer.
Sonic looked around wildly for help, but nobody was really paying attention: seeing two guys together was way too common for it to be strange.
"So, what's it going to be, blue boy? Want to come over to my room tonight~? I can show you LOTS of fun~"
"Eh n-no thanks! I'm good!" Sonic said panicking as he tried to get away.
He was blushing madly now seeing as Tails and Knuckles were falling out of their seats with laughter.
"Aww common~ I'd show yuh a great~ time~"
"What's going on here?" Came a deep voice from behind the boys, and Sonic gave a sigh of relief as Shadow appeared, and the badger quickly let go of him.
"Oh Nothing teach, I was just talking to friend~"
Shadow rolled his eyes and crossed his arms.
"Leave now Claymore."
"Aww fine~. Goodbye cutie~"
The badger said blowing a kiss over to Sonic, which only made Knuckles and Tails fall to the floor rolling in laughter, and Sonic to hiss angrily at the two to shut up before he lunged at the pair sending them running off with a red faced blue hedgehog chasing after them, Leaving Shadow to watch and shake his head.
'That stupid hedgehog' he thought to himself.