Chapter 28- Sophie

Start from the beginning

A few minutes later, I heard someone coming into the room. I turned my head and saw my mom standing at the doorway, crying. She rushed over to me and hugged me tightly.

"Mom..." I said, hugging her back.

"Oh, Sophie, I'm so sorry. Why didn't you tell me about this?" she said.

"I didn't think it was that big of a deal before... then he drugged me and took me somewhere," I admitted to her. "But I'm okay, I promise."

Just as she was about to say something, a doctor came in. "Hello, Mrs. Anderson. Hello, Sophie. Can I speak to you out in the hall?" he asked my mom. She nodded and followed him out into the hall. I saw him talking to her for a few minutes, and then she started to cry more. I saw him say sorry to her, then walk away.

My mom came back in and sat down beside me on the bed. "Sophie... did he rape you?" she asked. When I nodded she hugged me. I began to cry, too.

"I'm sorry, Mom," I said. She backed up and had a shocked expression on her face.

"Sorry? Why are you sorry? This isn't your fault, Sophie," she said.

"Sophie!"

We both turned to look at who called my name. Zoey came running into the hospital room and came up to my other side and hugged me tightly.

"Hey, Zoe," I said. She started crying on my shoulder.

"I was so worried about you, Sophie. I thought you were dead," she said, looking at me.

My mom got up off the bed and looked at me. "I'll leave you girls alone for a bit." Then she walked out into the hallway.

"What happened to you, Sophie? I was worried sick! And then I heard about Justin and I freaked out," she said.

I told her everything that happened. From the time I got the first gift, to being followed, to being taken and raped. She hugged me and started crying again.

"Is that bastard going to jail?" she asked.

"Yeah, either that or a mental institute," I said. My mom came back into the room and came over to me.

"The doctor wants to keep you overnight, just in case. I'll be back first thing in the morning, okay? Visiting hours are almost over," she said.

"Okay, Mom. I'll see you tomorrow?" I asked.

"Of course you will, Soph," she said, bending down and kissing my head. I gave her a hug, told her goodbye, and watched her leave.

"I guess I'd better go, too. I'll come and visit you at your house tomorrow, okay?" she said, getting up and hugging me tightly.

"Okay, Zoey. I'll see you tomorrow," I said. "Bye."

"Bye," she said, walking out the door.

A few hours passed of me watching TV. Nurses would come in every few minutes to check up on me and see if I was okay. When I told them yes, they would leave again. They brought me my dinner, and I ate it quietly. Another hour passed and I heard a familiar voice at the door.

"Hey, Sophie."

I snapped my head in the direction of the door and saw Justin standing in the doorway. He was wearing a hospital gown and pulling around an IV as I was.

"Justin," I said happily. I was so happy I could cry. I got up and ran over to him, hugging him.

"Careful, I'm all damaged," he said, laughing.

"I'm so sorry, Justin. This is all my fault." I cried into his chest, hugging him tightly. He grabbed onto my shoulders, pushing me away from him to look at my face.

"Sophie, this wasn't your fault. I'm just glad you're okay," he said, pulling me into another hug.

"I'm so glad you're safe," I said. I pulled away from him and looked up at him. He looked down at me expectantly. "I love you."

He smiled at me, then leaned down and kissed me. I wrapped my arms around him, deepening the kiss. He pulled back and hugged me. "I love you, too," he said.

I smiled- and almost cried- when he told me that. I was so glad he was okay. He meant the world to me, and to see him hurt by someone who wanted me... It made me cry even harder.

"Shh, why are you crying?" he said, wiping the tears off of my cheeks. How was I going to tell him what happened? I didn't want him to know, but I don't want him to find out from someone else.

"Justin, I need to tell you something. But I don't want you to think it's your fault, because it's not. I had no choice..." I trailed off, staring at him. A look of uncertainty came across his face.

"What is it?" he asked.

"I..." I whispered. "He raped me." I started crying harder when the look of disbelief and shock crossed his face. His eyes looked sad and angry at the same time. "I had no choice, I'm sorry. He said he would kill you if..." I trailed off again, trying to read his expression. To my surprise, he pulled me into a tight hug and didn't let go.

"I'm sorry, Sophie," was all he said. I felt a warm tear hit my cheek. He was crying. Justin was crying... Did he blame himself?

"It's not your fault, Justin. I promise, it isn't your fault," I said, rubbing his back. "I'm okay, and you're okay. That's all that matters."

"I love you, Sophie," he said. He pulled back and kissed me again. This kiss was much gentler than the last one. I kissed him back and jumped when someone came up from behind us.

"Excuse me, you guys. But it's time for you to go to bed for the night. I'm sorry," said a nurse. We broke apart from our kiss and looked at her.

"Sorry," we both said. She nodded then walked down the hall.

We looked back at one another and pulled back a little bit.

"I'll see you in the morning?" I asked.

"Definitely," he said. We kissed again, then said goodnight to each other. He walked down the hall, and I watched him leave, wishing he didn't have to go.