Chapter 6

The black and brown swung one of his unsheafed claws at Sweetpaw's face, yet she ducked, instead getting a nip on the ear. It stunged, but Sweetpaw just shook it off and lunged at the tom, who lazliy dodged it.

“Very slow in the undergowth for a ThunderClan cat,” he taunted her. “But you aren't ThunderClan, are you?”

Sweetpaw ignored him as she tried attacking again, running under his legs. She twisted around and used her hind paw to claw at him.

He yowled out in surprise, but he quickly reacted and the two rolled on the forest floor, one scratch after another.

Sweetpaw had never felt adrinline like this. Somehow, she was able to scratch him up pretty bad. It surprised her, since she was never in a battle and never had any denmates to play fight with as a kit.

Then, the adrenline wore off, and the tom was able to pin her down. Sweetpaw's eyes grew wide as he leaned down and whispered in her ear, “I can smell kittypet. Goldenstar is a fool.” He got back up and smiled wickedly, “At least she won't have to worry about you anymore.” The tom lifted a paw, flexed his claws, and aimed a blow at Sweetpaw.

She closed her eyes. This is it, I'm as good as dead! Was this supposed to be my destiny?

But his claws never reached her as the weight was lifted off of her. Looking up, she saw a flash of bright red. Another cat had pulled the RiverClan off of her and the new, younger tom quickly clawed at the Riverclan cat. The black and brown tom was already tired from Sweetpaw attacking him, and the red cat quickly scared him off.

Sweetpaw got up, and the tom rushed over to her. He was only maybe a moon or two older than Sweetpaw and he had the most strangest eyes. They were a deep violet color.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

“Yeah,” Sweetpaw mewed giving herself a shake. Then she jumped back into reality. “We need to tell Goldenstar!”

“I bet so, I mean, Riverclan isn't supposed to be on our territory,” he growled.

Sweetpaw shook her head, irrated, “No, there's a whole group of RiverClan cats that are at the Sunningrocks! Shadowstorm sent me off to get help.”

The red tom's eyes grew wide, and then he dashed off in the direction of the camp. Sweetpaw ran after him.

“Hey, wait up!” she called after him but he kept running fasted. Sweetpaw just fallowed him down the ravine and into camp. By the time she got into the thorn tunnel, the other cat was already yowling the news to the entire camp. Goldenstar nodded seriously and was beginning to order cats around, when she saw Sweetpaw run in.

“Sweetpaw,” Goldenstar called. “What happened?”

Sweetpaw quickly explained everything to the gathering cats, who looked ready to tear the pelts off of the RiverClan cats. Once Sweetpaw had finished, Goldenstar raised her tail to silence the cats.

“Let's go,” Goldenstar meowed, but added at Sweetpaw as she began to fallow, “Sweetpaw, you're done enough today and you aren't very trained. Stay here.”

Sweetpaw nodded gratefully and sat back down. The other cats left, leaving only a few cats to guard the camp. The red tom went with them. The midnight she-cat felt alone with all these new cats that she hadn't even met yet.

Then a new cat bounded across the clearing. She was a beautiful multicolored she-cat, and she started sniffing Sweetpaw all over, making her lean back.

“What are you doing?” Sweetpaw asked, shocked.

The tortoiseshell stopped and blinked at her a couple of times, then seemed to snap into reality. “Forgive me, it must be weird having a strange cat start to sniff you over. I'm Autumnleaf, the Clan medicine cat. You look a little battered, so I'm just checking for wounds. Do you hurt anywhere?”