Chapter 20

"Jade is that you? Oh my God, where are you? I have been so worried! How are..." her voice held both panic and relief.

"Yes it's me Eve." I couldn't imagine a time would come when I would feel a little peace of mind hearing Evelyn's voice. "I just wanted to let you know that I am leaving the state and may never come back." I tried to keep the shakiness in my voice at bay.

"What?" I could feel her shock. "But why? I thought you were on a temporary leave. I was aware of your decision to leave the job but I thought it was just a phase and you would come back."

"Yes, I changed my mind Eve, I am not coming back. This is not working out for me. I mean you know how bad my performance had been in the past few months. Maybe I have lost my passion for being a journalist."

"Yes, but you still are one of my best employees Jade. I know you have been distracted but for a reasonable reason. I mean Charlie..." her voice held sadness and sympathy. "Is it because of Charlie, Jade?"

I sighed. "Yes, Charlie has something to do with this. I can't live in the same house, the same city where he was Eve. His memories are everywhere, and there are no leads as to where he might be." I had to make up a lie to make my story for leaving the state believable. "It's hard Eve, I don't think I can come back."

She sniffed. "You can come back; we will try to find him together. I mean what is bigger than the media, I am sure somewhere someone might recognize him if we show his pictures on the television. I know I have been unfair to you and was far from being a friend when you needed my support the most, please give me another chance Jade. Don't give up please!"

I wiped the tears that fell from the corner of my eyes. "It is not about giving you a chance Evelyn; I forgave you a very long time ago. I know your heart is pure and that was just a bitchy phase you were experiencing." I heard her chuckle. "But the point is I might not be able to survive if I return. I am trying to move past everything and hoping for a new beginning. That place is holding me back. I want to be free of it."

"But Jade..." she inhaled deeply as if trying to keep her voice from breaking. "What if Charlie comes back after you leave? What will we tell him? What if..."

"Charlie is not coming back Eve." I felt a pang in my chest as I said it.

"What? How do you know? He is not dead...is he?" she asked forlornly.

"No, not...dead but if he wanted to come home; he would have done that a long time ago." I closed my eyes. "Look Eve, I don't want to sound indifferent or selfish, but I need to move on. That is why I can't ever come back to Tampa."

"But... do you really have to leave the state?"

"Yes, it is necessary."

"Where are you going? I mean so I can contact you and..."

"I can't tell you Eve." I said regretfully. "And this is the last time I am talking to you."

"What? But how can you leave everything behind Jade, don't your friends mean anything to you? How can you abandon everyone...?" she cried out.

"Please Eve...please try to understand my predicament! I don't want to leave all of you but I have no other choice." I sobbed.

"I understand you; I just can't swallow your reasons. You are alright Jade? Nobody is forcing you to leave right? You are safe?"

"Yes, it is my own decision." I lied.

She was quiet for a long time. "I will miss you!"

"Me too, I will miss you and Kenny...by the way how are things between the two of you?" I tried to stir the conversation to something positive.