Chapter 18: Bad Dreams And Swollen Eyes

Start from the beginning

Rico began heaving, as he sobs in front of me. His inhale and exhale patterns quickened, as more tears escaped his eyes. I stood up and become stagnant; I didn't know what to do.

Calen releases him, makes Rico face him and grabs his face. "You don't need this," he coaxes him, "Baby, breathe. Breathe. I'm here." Calen comforted him until his breathing became normal again.

Rico kissed him. "Thanks, babe," he embraced him. "Without you, I don't know what I would do." His attention shifted back to me. "Do I need to take you to court for violating your restraining order?"

"Restraining order?" I am baffled.

"Just stay away from me!"

He stormed off with Calen following behind him. Calen scowled at me as he walked off.

I stood there in place, shocked for several passing moments, until I feel someone grab my hand. I tense up and turn around to face Veronica.

"Hey, Jake," she greets, kissing me. Her face fell. "What's wrong?"

"Rico has a restraining order against me," I cried, "He hates me and I don't know why."

She hugs me, comfortingly, "Come on." She pulls me away until we're behind a stairwell. She began making out with me and unzipping my pants.

"Wh—" I inhaled quickly, as she did her sexual deed to me on her knees. When she's finished, she gets up and kisses me.

"Are you better now, Jake?" she asks. "If not, we can take this further," she says in a suggestive manner, "We can do it here, but it'll be uncomfortable—whatever, I don't care where we do it."

"Rico hates me," I cry, "I'll never be better!"

She rolls her eyes. "I'm your friend with benefits, not your girlfriend. You need to cool it with the mood swings. Get over Rico. You did the damage. He moved on. You should too."

"What damage?"

"You slept with me the day after you and Rico had sex to see if you still liked girls—you do."

I shook my head, "I love him."

"Yeah, you realized that after you broke up with him and he started dating Calen. Because of you, he now has an anxiety disorder he has to go to counseling and take antidepressants for. After he and Calen started dating, you keep trying to get him back; you wouldn't leave him alone so he put a restraining order against you and switched out classes he shared with you."

"Do he and Calen have sex?"

"Lots."

My heart drops.

"But you and I," she rubs my chest, "Have tons too, probably even more."

I shake away the hurt and wipe away my tears, "Well, what are we doing while conversing here? Let's do it here." I lift her into my arms and grab her legs.

"That's what I like about you—you move fast," Veronica giggles.

The entire time we engaged in sexual intercourse, I imagined her as Rico.

~*~

I wake Jake by sitting on top of him and plastering his face with kisses. "Wakie, wakie, Jakie Jakie," I bounce on him. He wakes up and blinks at me. I kiss him one last time and get off him. "Go fix your friend in the bathroom," I eye him between his legs.

"Of course," he responds, laughing lightly, "You're responsible for it."

"Oh, shut up," I roll my eyes, playfully.

He gets up and goes into the restroom without another word.

What, no sexual joke afterwards from him? Weird.

When he comes out, I jokingly tell him to wash his hands before he touches me. He complies, to my shock.

"Jake."

"What?"

"Am I losing it or is something wrong with you?"

"Nothing's wrong," he replies, "I'm fine."

"No you're not." I go into the bathroom with him. "The Jake I know would've put up a fight before ever obeying my demands."

"I am okay, I swear," he laughs, "Today is just a meh kind of day."

"Is there a reason?"

"No."

"Want to take another shower with me, after we eat?"

"We wouldn't need a shower, since we took one last night," he left the bathroom and fixed him a batch of carrots and yogurt. "Want any?"

"Yeah, sure," I respond.

As we ate in silence, I awkwardly tried to focus on objects around us to keep from making eye contact with Jake.

After eating, I pulled out a board game and started playing by myself. I attempted to evoke a desire for him to join me, but he didn't read the signs and decided to read a book from the shelf.

In boredom, I played a two-player board game, acting as both Jake and I. I imagined us playing this in a childish manner—me or him intentionally cheating to get on the other's nerves and laugh it off later and maybe even kiss between playing—but, the thoughts weren't enough. I wanted his company. I wanted him to play this board game with me.

"Jake, I want you to come and play with me," I blurt out, "A board game is meant to be played with by more than one person."

"Okay," he agreed. He joins me and we play in an uncomfortable atmosphere. Jake was playing fairly and quietly. I purposely cheat and he doesn't bat an eye at my blatant actions. I do this several times and even slide in, "I'm going to win" comments, but he remains unbothered. I began to grow frustrated.

"Jake."

"What?"

"Why aren't you reacting?"

"What do you mean?"

I sigh and repeat myself in annoyance, "Why aren't you reacting?"

"Do you want me to?"

"Why are you being standoffish?"

"I'm not."

"Yes you are," I argue.

"Typical Rico—always wanting me to engage in pointless bickering to get a rise out of me."

"You know what? I AM trying to get a rise out of you. Right now. Because the person sitting in front of me has fallen and I don't know why."

"Nothing is wrong. Let it go." He moves his game piece on the board.

"I'll let it go after you kiss me," I propose.

He retorts, "So, you'd let go of something that's bothering you in exchange for a kiss?"

"No, of course not," I remark, "I was just jok—"

"That's the problem with you—with us—everything is a joke."

I grew even more frustrated. "Jake, what is the matter?"

"I keep telling you: nothing."

"Then, why are you so serious right now?"

"Rico, let it go!" he snaps.

My face pinches in anger. "You keep to yourself then, asshole!" I throw my game piece at him in fury and storm away.

"Last night was a mistake," he reveals, "It shouldn't have happened. This—us being locked in here—shouldn't have happened. None of this should've happened. "

I stop on my tracks and stood there for a few moments, trying to register everything that has happened. I feel tears amplified in my eyes until they rolled down my cheeks. I locked myself in the bathroom without another word and sobbed until my eyes were swollen.