Chapter 33: Armistice

Začít od začátku

Bella's friends arrived first. Jessica was the first one up the stairs, her eyes wide with wonder as she took in the mysterious Cullen House. Mike was right behind her, Tyler, Connor, Lauren, Austin, Eric, Lee and Samantha all of them just as curious as the first.

They seemed a bit taken back by Emmett standing by the doorway of the lounge/club. He looked like a big scary bouncer as he smiled tightly at the humans that wandered past him and into the room.

Bella left Edward's side to go greet her friends. Angela and Ben made their way up the stairs behind the first group as Edward and I watched Bella awkwardly mingle. "I'm not in the mood to party." I grumbled, my hands still across my chest as I refused to wipe the resting bitch expression from my face.

"You and Bella need this. Before we move again." Edward reminded me and I sighed again.

"That isn't my point. Bella's little epiphany this morning has me on edge." I said side glancing Edward and his face mirrored mine, though it wasn't as sassy.

"Trust me, I know exactly how you feel." His eyes didn't leave Bella once, I get there was an urgency of an impending threat but he was verging on creepy. A newborn wasn't going to pounce on her at a party. "Your boyfriend is here." Edward informed me before slinking away to join Bella's side.

I might as well enjoy myself whilst I can.

Ryan appeared at the stairs first, the rest of my friends in tow, and once he saw me he made straight for me. "Hey." He smiled before pecking my lips. "This place is amazing."

Before I could answer Scarlett pulled me into her arms. "I can see why you spend so much time here!" She beamed, her green eyes sparkling in the fluorescent coloured lights.

"It is beautiful." I agreed with her before I greeted the rest of my group and was dragged towards the dancefloor.

The more I danced and spent time with my friends I began to relax and let my worries slip away. Edward was right, I needed this. I needed one last gathering with all of my friends because as soon as college began in the fall they would all be gone and so would we, I'd never see them again.

The party was a definite success, despite the instinctive edginess caused by the Cullens' presence - or maybe that simply added a thrill to the atmosphere. The music was infectious, the lights almost hypnotic. From the way the food disappeared, that must have been good too. The room was soon crowded, though never claustrophobic, and it gave Ryan an excuse to hold me close to him as we danced to the upbeat music, and if I was being honest, I liked the closeness.

The occasional slow song would play allowing Ryan to hold me even closer as we swayed to the slow beat. As we danced he would plant sweet kisses against my cheeks, shoulders and neck. "You are so perfect." He whispered to me as he spun me around. I needed someone like this, I needed to be the first choice.

I sighed happily, blissful in this moment... well that was until the scent of three people I didn't want to see wafted into the house and up the stairs. I gripped onto Ryan carefully as the dreaded twisting pain in my heart began to regenerate itself again. "Ari, you okay?" I nodded without meeting his eyes as my own scanned around the room looking for them.

Three huge, muscular bodies appeared on the landing, their eyes scanning the party in hope of finding a familiar face. Embry caught sight of me first, an uncomfortable yet sorrowful look on his face as he met my appalled eyes. What the hell were they doing here? I turned my face into Ryan's neck before Jacob could get a look at me. I did not want to talk to him.