Chapter Thirty Nine

Start from the beginning

Okay, go digging deep into our business. That's cool.

He bites his lip. "Only official for a few weeks," he lies. "But we've been seeing each other for a lot longer. It feels like we've been together for months, if I'm honest."

Thank God the interviewer drops the topic of us soon after.

Zayn is questioned on Gigi, and Niall is left fake crying when he announces he isn't seeing anyone. The fans instantly brighten up and sit straight in their chairs.

Okay, girls. Sure.

"I told you," I murmur, pulling Harry into my arms tightly after the boys slip backstage. He takes a sip from his water bottle and raises an eyebrow. "You did great."

He smiles at me. "Thanks, baby. I wouldn't have done as well if you weren't here, though."

"You couldn't even see me," I protest.

"But I knew you were here," he tells me. "You were on my mind the whole time."

"Mhmm. I can't say I didn't do the same," I admit. "I mean, I wouldn't be here if you weren't, anyway. Also, that interviewer wants to dig deep into our relationship, eh?"

He laughs. "Everyone does. We're new and interesting. 'The famous Harry Styles finally has a girlfriend. Is he ready to settle down and break up the band? Who knows.'" His voice imitates that of a news broadcaster. I grin at him.

"You and your damned fake accents," I laugh. "You're cute."

He smiles and pokes my shoulder childishly. "You love me."

"I do, I do, Styles."

Harry yawns loudly and checks his phone momentarily.

"When are we leaving?" I ask. "I'm hungry. Crackers and cheese don't really appeal to me."

"Whenever we want," he says. "We just have to be careful if we leave soon because the fans are still here. They brought an extra car in case we wanted to leave separately from the boys."

"Let's go, then," I suggest. He nods.

"Okay. Let me tell Julian and the boys."

Harry scampers off as I recollect my jacket and backpack. He soon joins me again with a pair of keys in his hand.

"Don't let go of my hand when we go out. I know for certain that there are fans outside and that the paps will be waiting for us."

"Don't worry," I murmur. "I won't say anything."

We walk to the back exit door and push out, the cool wind instantly blowing my hair back.

"Jeez, it's windy," I say, shielding my face.

We push open a door in the chain fence rising at least eight feet above us, a security measure to prevent people from hopping it. The actual door is locked from the outside, but still.

Fans line the outside of the chain. Looking down, I shield my face with my spare hand and follow Harry as he opens the door, quickly shutting it behind us. Fans grab at us and I move closer to Harry. They yell the usual.

"I love you!"

"Harry!"

I even heard my name yelled by paparazzi. Questions are thrown my way but I completely ignore the noise, focusing on the warmth of Harry's hand in contrast to the cool air.

Jeez, it's cold for the beginning of September.

We finally move through the majority of them, though quite a few follow our tails. Harry leads me to his black Sonata. We quickly slip in. He turns on the engine and gets ready to back out, but apparently some of the fans are idiots and won't move.