Chapter Fourteen

"Well, we just need you to sign off these papers -" The nurse hands me a large pile of paperwork, "- and then you're free to go. Everything is set up for you to head home." She gives me a warming smile while tucking her blonde hair behind her ear. "The bill will be mailed to you."

"Thank you," I say, returning a smile.

"Your friends and family signed all they could, especially that one blonde boy, what was his name? Josh? Anyway, he filled out most of it. I'm surprised you don't have him as an emergency contact on your record."

"Josh? Oh." Josh signed all of these for me? "Is there any way you can put him on my record for me? Like as an emergency contact, or whatever you said?" I ask.

"Of course, just let me grab one other sheet." She hands me another paper labelled Emergency Contact Information and a pen to top it off. "I'll leave you be."

I spend the next few hours signing weird papers, most of which are odds and ends that my parents had never filled out. The doctor told me I was due for a gynaecologist appointment since, surprise surprise, my parents had never gotten me one.

When I was finished, my hand was throbbing and I was famished. I press the button to the left of my bedside table to call the nurse back in.

The door quickly slides open and my doctor scurries in, a short lady with brown hair following behind her. "Are you ready to head out?" she asks.

"Yea," I say, holding out the papers to her. She takes them and put them on her clipboard.

"Only one more thing. We need to draw some blood to make sure everything's okay," she tells me and turns to the other woman. "Ms. Nickole, please remember to check her white blood cell count."

I pull my phone out of my pocket and text Harry.

Aubrey: i'm ready to go, almost. they're just taking some blood.

Within five minutes, Harry and Louis both enter the room. A nurse follows behind, holding a wheelchair.

"Hey there," I say with a genuine smile.

I'm very happy to be going home, or at least close to home. Anything but this damn hospital.

"Hey. You ready to go home?" Harry asks me. He seems happy, too.

I nod and swing one leg over the bed.

"Um, help, please?" I ask, grimacing in pain.

"Of course." The nurse pushes the wheelchair to beside my bed and helps me slowly transfer my body. "Boys?"

Harry and Louis scurry over to help me. The nurse shifts my casted leg while the boys lift me onto the chair. As soon as I sit, the nurse makes some adjustments to the bottom so my leg is elevated. It's honestly quite comfortable, which I didn't expect.

"Thank you," I say with a smile.

"It's no problem, Miss. We're actually going to bring you to another room before you leave to set you up with crutches. It healed enough during the time you stayed that you don't need a wheelchair."

The doctor leaves us in the room as the nurse comes up behind me. I grab my phone off the side table and smile at the boys. "Let's go."

---

The boys flanked my sides as I hopped slowly down the hall after getting my crutches. The first few hallways were fine, going along as usual hospital ones. A few people here and there said hello but respected our privacy, seeing I'm just leaving here for the first time in over two weeks. We get into the elevator and press the ground button. I grasp tightly onto Harry's arm.