Chapter Three: Fall Of A Legend

Start from the beginning

Holy Rosary Convent, Ireland, Four Months Ago. 

Tobias walked down the halls of the dilapidated Convent, it's walls nothing but mould and peeling wallpaper. It had been four months since the attack on Lavernock Point and the disappearance of Taylor, he knew that he wasn't dead just in hiding. There was a lot of anger surrounding his departure, he couldn't blame his people for feeling that way he did himself as soon as he found out but it gradually faded. Ever since the secret of The Embers had been released to the world, it had become increasingly more difficult to find a base where they were safe. Governments around the world had declared all Embers dangerous to the civilian population, and declared them enemies to the world. But they didn't know anything of the war or that the Arturion's were fighting to protect mankind, they only knew fear and uncertainty. 

Thankfully so far none of the governments had come close apprehending any of them but the threat of their intervention was very real. Tobias continued to walk down the hallway until he came to the entrance of what used to be the church of the convent. It had been in an awful state of disrepair, however they had tidied it up as best they could, and it was being used to house the Arturion’s. Metallic bunk beds lined the walls, there weren't enough to go around unfortunately so some thirty people at least had to sleep on thin mattress's on the floors. 

It wasn't the best accommodation they'd stayed in over the centuries but it certainly hadn't been the worst. As he approached the end of church area where the altar once was and a large curtain had been put up, and inside was being used a temporary war room as many of the other rooms were far too unsafe to use. The curtain was on a metal rail attached to either side of the wall and was a deep maroon red, and lacked patterns or weavings of any kind. He pulled back the curtain to find Ryne, Mylar and Argus all stood about the table talking in hushed voices, concern etched upon all of their faces. It had been hard to lead the Arturion’s the last few months and even a few people from the army had even defected no longer wanting a part of it. Such a thing hadn’t happened since the days when the war was still within Thurnar, it always weighed heavily on Tobias’s mind.

“Are we any closer to locating Taylor?” asked Tobias as he closed the curtain behind him and faced his commanders.

“Nothing, he’s really keeping his head down and it doesn’t look like he’s planning on resurfacing for a while” said Mylar.

“Don’t you think we should give up? It’s been two months Tobias, he clearly doesn’t want to be found” said Ryne interjecting.

“I’m inclined to agree Tobias, he’s bound to be unpredictable at the moment and try to drag him back into this wouldn’t be fair. You’ve always said that we never force people into this life, you even gave Taylor the choice to fight if he wanted to” said Argus, he was now free of his bandages but the burns were distinct to the eye and a constant reminder of times past.

“I needn’t be reminded of what I have said Argus, but the fact remains that we cannot win this war without him and we lost too many in the attack on Lavernock as it is. He’s merely lost, all he needs is to be set upon the correct path” said Tobias, they’d had several discussions on the subject and so far he’d put the subject to rest within no time.

“That’s not good enough Tobias, we aren’t the Cyturion’s we don’t force people into this and I’ll be damned if I’m a part of that so from now on I’m not getting involved in this. I am sorry but I just can’t do it” said Argus, who marched past Tobias without a word or a glance and tore the curtain out of his way as he left.