Chapter Six

"Glenda?" I asked astonished as she wrapped me in a warm embrace. She frantically wiped the hair from my face, relief evident on her face.

"I found your note Kid. Thank god for that damn note!" She exclaimed, trying to get a hold of herself. "Did - did he hurt you Luli? Where is he? We gotta go before he finds us." She added, grabbing my hand, pulling me to her car.

"Wait!" I exclaimed, yanking my hand away for her grip.

"What are you doing kid, we gotta go!" She said confused.

"I thought you didn't want me around anymore. That I was too much baggage." I replied slowly, trying not to choke on my words.

"What makes you think I'd ever do that? Is that what Eddie told you? That motherfucker!" She questioned angrily. I nodded my head on response and looked shyly down at the pavement. I've asked myself similar questions since Eddie told me about Glenda, and even though he swore she didn't want to be bothered with me, I knew deep down inside she would never do that.

"Let's just go. I'll explain in the car. Quick, before he realizes your gone." She said, getting into her car. I followed her instructions and slid into the passenger side, still in shock.

"Luli, Eddie isn't all right in the head. But you've probably already figured that out by now" Glenda said, pushing 80 down the highway. "I was in your shoes once. A runaway too stubborn for her own good. Hitch hiking my way from place to place, scraping pennies to get myself a bite to eat. That is, until I met Eddie." She added, telling me her story. "He was nice at first. Hell, maybe even charming. Taking me places, buying me gifts, telling me I was pretty. But I'm sure you already know these things." She said as I looked down at the bracelet Eddie had given me. "Well, me being the dumb kid I was, fell for him. He was everything my Mama told me to stay away from, maybe that's why I liked him. Maybe it was the fact that a man had taken notice in little ole me. Boy, was I stupid." She chuckled, tapping her red nail on the wheel. I felt my cheeks turn red with embarrassment. Obviously he wasn't new to this game. "Well kid, by the time my 14th birthday rolled around, I was 3 months pregnant. I was scared. But Eddie wanted so desperately to be a father,- and a husband. He promised me and our unborn baby the world. I wanted the baby I did, and not a day goes by that I don't think about her." She continued, her voice breaking. "But that's when he got mean. Real mean. He's not right Luli. And I knew I couldn't raise a baby with him. So I left." She finished struggling to hold back tears.

I sat in silence combing over what I could say. But I was at a loss for words. That could've happened to me.