Chapter 27: In which Tristin and Sia get to know each other

Tristin?  Sia's whisper of a thought came 10 minutes before dawn on the dot. Some time, Tristin thought, he would have to ask her how she knew the time so well.

Yeah? he replied, shifting a little on the bed. Sia tugged gently on his hand and pulled him out of bed. He smiled at her before rubbing his eyes and putting on his shirt. Sia was already dressed, with a seaweed bag slung over her shoulder.

Let's go, she said. I know you're bound to be tired, but swimming will work it off.

They edged out of the cave system into the still dark waters of the sea.

The sunrise will be beautiful, Sia commented. Keep an eye out for a flash of colour.

They began swimming. For the first couple of minutes, Tristin found it hard to keep up. At last, he cried out to her,

Sia! Please. Slow down!

Sorry, Sia replied immediately and dropped back to Tristin's side. I keep forgetting you are crura.

Thanks.

They soon found a pace that Tristin could keep up with, and he found his tongue again. Or rather, collected his thoughts.

So, Sia, you work in a shop?

How did you remember that? Sia smiled.

Us hu... crura aren't as dumb as you Mer seem to think, Tristin said haughtily. We're actually cleverer than you.

What makes you think that? Sia asked.

Well, we have developed technology.

What's that? she asked. Some fancy crura thing, no doubt. But we're under the sea, dumbo, came her laugh. We shape coral, one of the hardest natural thing in the sea! We have a fair, working system of life, whereas you lot are probably at war.

Well, yes, but... how do you know that?

Sia seemed uncomfortable.

Well, there are the Tales of Vana.

The what?

The Tales of Vana. I shouldn't really tell you, but I will. Vana was one of the few on the earth who had magic. He could use that magic to read the future, to see the other parts of the world, to see the crura. It was he who wrote a book describing everything he knew about humans, and he also saw all the wars that were happening Up there. Each bae is taught, at school, about Vana, and the other magic users from under the sea. We know about your unruly, dangerous world with your wars and machines.

Tristin was silent. Then he asked,

So, what do you like doing in your free time?

He tried not to show her his burning cheeks, looking away at the passing fish and sea creatures around. Sia was quiet for a while, and Tristin could feel her amusement pointed at him. Then she replied,

I'm very academic. I used to love school, until Mother and Father died. Then I had to stop school to help our family, but I still love reading and learning.

Will you tell me about them? Tristin asked. What were they like?

I was only 9 when they died, so I don't remember much. Mother was always smiling, and Father would make stupid jokes that were somehow funny. We were such a happy family.

I'm sorry, Tristin said. You don't have to talk if you don't want to.

No, it's OK. She was silent. Then she said,

Mother used to tell me, 'Don't look behind you, because that will make you lose your balance. Look forward, and although you might not be able to see round the next corner, you'll be ready for what life throws at you. When you do find your next chapter of your life, embrace it, and only then will you be successful.'

That's a nice saying, Tristin said. My grandma used to say something about bicycles. She said, 'Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you need to look forward.'

Funny how Mer and crura are kind of the same, even though we're so different, Sia commented. There was silence for a bit.

So, what else do you like doing? Tristin asked.

I like exploring. I'm not a particularly amazing Mer, and I'm never noticed by anyone, so my friends call me Sea Dragon.

What's that? Tristin asked.

The Sea Dragon is a relative of the seahorse. It looks a lot like a piece of seaweed, a commoner, which suits me really well.

When actually you're a beautiful Sea Dragon, Tristin said. Sia studied him.

Yes, she said after a while. You could say that. I love Sea Dragons.

There's only one I love, Tristin said before blushing furiously. Sia swallowed hard.

Oh, she thought, awkwardly. So, Tristin, what do you like doing?

I'm a beach boy, Tristin said, laughing. Little bubbles sprang from his lips and rose, twinkling, to the surface. He and Sia watched them dance, up to the dappled sunlight at the Surface.

Yes, I'm always at the beach, and I like hanging out with my mates, and Evie.

Do you like Evie? Sia asked. Tristin hesitated.

I don't know. I guess I do, but I don't know whether it's friendly or more than that. But then, I don't think she counts as my friend anymore. She tried to kill me.

I'm sorry, Sia said. I didn't realise how much she meant to you. It must've been hard, her leaving you so suddenly.

It was, Tristin replied. But I haven't thought about her for a while. A certain Sea Dragon has come to my attention now.

Sia blushed.

We have to keep moving, she thought, busying herself with adjusting the straps on her bag. We won't have enough food to last us for that long. Only three days.

They were silent for a while. Then Sia asked,

Have you thought about what you're going to do when we reach the palace? she said.

No. Just to try and find this Blue. I don't really know what to do, but I guess I could always swim back to shore and wait for her. She's bound to come back sometime, isn't she?

She may decide to stay Under. She's special, isn't she? She could live here quite happily.

Tristin seemed sad.

I'll miss her, he said, and gave a deep sigh. Ah, well. Let's continue.

They swam on, in silence, thinking. The light gradually faded, and it was only until a HorseShoe Crab, which Tristin recognised from his biology nocturnal lessons, scuttled out in front of them. They could barely see it.

A Boodu, Sia thought. Let's rest. It's night now.

She led Tristin into a small cave where they huddled in a ball and slept.