Chapter 15: In which Evie sleeps underwater, hears a melody and talks to Tristin

When Evie woke, she lay quite still for a second, wondering where she was. Then she remembered the night before, and sighed at the memory.

She was held close in Tristin's arms around her, her face pressed into his shoulder. She turned her head to look across the beach, and past that to the pale grey, silvery dawn that was approaching. Here and there were streaks of colour; blue, yellow, red, green, all joined with silver and tinges of night black...

Evie pushed away from Tristin and stood stretching her cramped muscles. She walked to a rock near the tide mark and stared out to the colours in the sky. She was still troubled by Argent's abrupt exit the last week. The waves lapped closer, and suddenly she had an urge to go in the water and rest.

She stripped to her underwear and laid her clothes next to Tristin, who was still fast asleep. Then she waded into the water, wincing at the cold breeze, and ducked under.

The water seemed to include her as part of their own. She heard a haunting tune, one that she recognised but couldn't place where from, rushing through the water as if it were a part of the waves themselves. It made her shiver in wonder but also anticipation. But a second later, the feeling vanished and another, calm, gentle feeling spread over her, like a soft, comforting blanket, and, still under the water, she closed her eyes. The music played on in her mind until she was completely relaxed, and then Evie Anderson slept.

*

She woke to a voice calling her name. It felt weirdly far away, but also close. She gradually opened her eyes and stretched, surprised when she experienced no contact from her bed. She floated to the surface of the sea and broke into the open air, taking a breath that she didn't need.

She scanned above the waves until her eyes reached the beach and saw Tristin standing knee deep in water, holding her towel and her clothes, scanning the waves for her. His eyes lit up as he saw her, then his face coloured and he ducked his head, embarrassed. Evie looked down at herself and realised she was only wearing her underwear. She waded towards the shore, bending her knees to keep only her head out of the water, and then darted forwards and grabbed her towel that Tristin was holding out, leaving him only clutching her clothes. Gratefully she wrapped it around herself and dried her face and neck as they started walking to the cliff path. Tristin looked worriedly at her.

"Why were you in the water?" he asked. Evie looked at him evenly, the same way she had looked at him when she had fist seen him, with the same look of desperation for him to understand her.

"I needed the water," she choked in a voice full of emotion.

"What?" Tristin asked. "I don't understand."

"I..." Evie began, but words came flowing out of her mouth, explaining her feelings. "I needed to rest in the water. I needed to be part of it, to listen and to sleep."

Tristin was still confused.

"Listen to what?" he pressed.

"Listen to the melody," Evie found herself saying. "The melody that I hear."

She shook her head.

"I can't remember it," she whispered. "It's important, but I can't remember it."

Tristin put an arm around her shoulders and drew her closer to his warm body as they walked.

"What did you mean about sleeping?" he asked. "How long exactly were you in the water?"

Evie glanced at her watch. It was _:__.She didn't remember looking at it... but the sun had been just resting on the horizon...

Quickly, she pulled away from Tristin and ran back to where they had slept together. She stared at the sun, now a lot further up in the sky. She pointed it out to Tristin, who had followed her on her heels, and where it had been. Tristin squinted at the horizon

"Gosh, Evie," he murmured. "You must have been asleep underwater for about two hours!"

Evie smiled a little, feeling satisfied at her achievement.

"Maybe this is what Argent said," she mused. "Remember? He said, 'your powers will support you'. So maybe this is my power."

Tristin looked unhappy. Evie turned him around and walked with him back the way they had started.

"What is it?" she asked.

Tristin turned to her and gazed into her eyes.

"You're scaring me, Evie," he said gently. "I'm scared of you, and for you. I'm terrified for me, and for us."

He broke off, took a deep breath, and then asked,

"Why are you taking this so casually, Evie? You've just found out that you, a human who needs oxygen to breathe, can survive underwater for 2 hours! Maybe more! Why aren't you getting scared and worried? You're supposed to save the world!"

"And why should I get worried?" Evie replied, turning her face up to him, a face that was filled with wisdom. "Why should I get scared? I'd just make you scared, except you are already, and what good would that do? Tristin, if I get scared and worried, I could condemn the whole world. I need to be able to think, to plan, to... I don't know, command an army! I need to accept what I am, and what I can do. I don' have time to be worried!"

Tristin lowered his head, ashamed.

"I'm sorry, Evie," he said in a low voice. "I'm just so... scared. I feel almost angry that you're not scared but I am, and you're the one who has to do everything, and who has everything. I'm no-one, and yet I'm more scared than the one who has to save the world. What a sad person I am."

He turned away and continued trudging up the path. Evie grabbed his arm and pulled him back round to face her

"Tristin," she said, her voice furious, her dark eyes boring into his downcast ones. "If I could do this without you, I would say. But I can't, and I need you. I need you to help me, and to help me it doesn't matter if you are strong or weak, tall or small, brave or terrified. I have to take this role, but I can't bear the burden alone. So I'm asking you now, formally; will you help me to defeat Black? Will you stand with me for as long as you can?"

Tristin swallowed, then laughed nervously.

"The way you say it," he chuckled, then coughed and took a deep breath. "Ok. Here we go. Evie, I promise, formally; that I will help you to defeat Black and stand with you for as long as I can, which I will try and make the end."

He exhaled and hugged Evie.

"I promise," he muttered into her hair, and Evie tightened her arms around him.

1q