CHAPTER 3: In which Evie exchanges emails with Hannah

The next morning, Evie drifted into reality slowly. She saw Lucy lying next to her, and thought of the necklace. But when she felt her chest, the bump of cold metal was still there. Somehow, it reassured her to have it close to her.

She lay there, wondering about things. Her new school would start soon, in about 3 weeks, and she would be in year 8 then. Her birthday was after that, in November...

Quickly getting dressed and sneaking downstairs, she found her mother's laptop and switched it on. She would email her two best friends, Hannah and Abbie, from her old town. She missed them.

Evie glanced at the clock. 8:15. Hannah would be up by now, but Allie would still be in bed.

Evie clicked up the inbox and opened up a new email. She addressed it to , and started to type.

Hi Hannah!

We've got here at last! In Cornwall! We actually arrived the day before yesterday, as you know, but we slept in a hotel that night. I've got to tell you about something weird that happened the next morning. I woke up early, as I usually do, and I went to a beach just outside. And I met this old lady who was watching me, and she said she was the Protector, but no longer because I was there. I was honestly freaked out! And she gave me a tiny seahorse necklace. It was really pretty, and I have it now.

Anyway, Mum was freaked out at me leaving on my own, as she always does. Overreacting. You know what she's like. But she calmed down, and we unpacked, and slept at the cottage. It's really nice. You'd love it.

I'm really looking forward to November, but I'm dreading school. I'll be the odd one out. I miss you so much.

Are you allowed to come to my party? I'm inviting you and Abbie to the first part. We're going ice skating, and then having a sleepover. Then the next day, I'll invite some others, Georgia, Sam, and Tabby. And Alicia. We're going swimming all day! And having a picnic lunch there too. Mum's planned an amazing cake for me. I can't wait to see it. But then everyone will stay in our play room, once we have converted it from a garage, and on Monday we'll probably go down to the beach. What do you think? I wish November will come now.

Miss you soo soo sooooooooooooo much!

I really do!

See in November! Or before?!?!

Evie

xxx

P.S. Do you want to come over in October sometime, half term?

Evie

She barely had to wait 5 minutes before Hannah replied.

Hiya Evie!!!!!!!!

I miss you loads too! It's not the same without you here!!

I really want to see your house, and you room too! Is it an attic? Is it by the coast? Does it look over the sea? Can you hear it at night? Oh, God, I'm sooooooo jealous! Please invite me over soon!

Yes, I can come to your party. It sounds amazing! It is on the 15th-17th, isn't it? If it is, I can come to yours by 11 on the Saturday. Mum's fine to drive me and Abbie there. It's only 2 hours. Then Mum will have to drive home, and we'll have loads of fun until the others arrive. Yes, I think Alicia, and Samantha, Georgia and Tabby are fine. I can ask Georgia if her mum doesn't mind taking them all there in her 7 seater, and she's a good friend of your mum, so she could stay in your spare room, if you have one. Then we can all travel home after lunch on Monday. Perfect! I can't wait either!

I can't come over to yours on the 25th or the 26th, because that's the twins' party. Tom and Harry will be 6 on the 22nd! Mum's doing a cake that has THOMAS AND HENRY on the top. But I could come over on the 11th or 12th. We could meet halfway and have a day together, say in... Exeter, or something hear there. Our mums would love that. Let's ask them when they wake up.

See you maybe in October, then, but DEFINITELY in November.

I cannot wait at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really miss you, Evie.

Good luck with your new school. It's going to be so dull without you here!

Hannah

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Evie immediately replied, after checking something quickly on the internet.

Hi, Hannah!!!!!!

Yes, my room can see the sea! It's right on the cliff. It's so beautiful, and every time I open the curtains, I see it, so blue... And at night, the waves lapping on the shore can put me to sleep better than any drugs!

Yes, my party is on the 15th to 17th. And it's going to be so epic! Can you ask Georgia's mum, please. That would be fantastic!

I think it's best if we meet on Saturday, the 11th, because we both have roasts on Sunday and it would be a shame to miss it. Mind you, our house might not be sorted out enough. There's so much to do!!! I'll email tonight yes or no.

I've looked on the map, and maybe we could meet in Bovey Tracey?

Evie

Xxxxxxxxxxx

Only a couple of minutes later, Hannah replied with 8 words and a mountain of kisses.

Gotcha. That's all fine. I'll see you soon.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Evie grinned and logged off the computer. The she got out her phone and texted Abbie.

Hi, Abbie, can u come 2 my party? 11am on 15th Nov? Can't wait 2 c u again. Miss u. Evie xxx

When she had done all of that, she went back upstairs and began to read.